Topic: RME Babyface (Old) Phones-out as Line-out

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have used the RME babyface for quite some time now and i love it.

I have a question which i think apply to the new babyface pro interface as well as this older one i use, I just recently bought a headphone amplifier (Aune X7S) that i have hooked up using the phones output on the breakout cable using a TRS to dual RCA cable.

I am a little unsure about what is going on in TotalMix FX, I want to control the volume using my headphone amp's knob and not the babyface attenuator. Leaving PH 3/4 at 0 (max) seems to give the headphone amp a bit too much power when i adjust the volume just slightly on the amp, and even on the lowest volume possible, there is still the tiniest amount of sound still audible.

Only when i reduce the PH 3/4 hardware output by -20db in TotalMix does the volume seem reasonable on the amp, but I'm not sure if this is accurate volume. So is there double-amplification going on here due to how the headphone circuitry works? I know it says in the manual that the phones-out can be used as line-outs.

I use K712 headphones, I don't have a lot of experience hooking up equipment aside from studio monitors and some microphones.

Thanks for any replies.

Music producer from Norway

Not signed

Re: RME Babyface (Old) Phones-out as Line-out

If that amp requires to lower the BF volume by 20 dB then do so. As long as you don't hear noise this way there is no reason not to do so.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: RME Babyface (Old) Phones-out as Line-out

Alright, that's how It's gonna be then. Thankfully there has never been a problem of any noise.

I just needed some verification that i wasn't doing something wrong on my end to harm the amp.

Thanks for your reply!

Music producer from Norway

Not signed