Topic: HDSPe PCI / Expresscard ongoing driver support and advice

Hi, I'm a happy Multiface 1 user (from new) with a PCI card currently running very well under Windows 10.

I'm now looking to get a Mac and have seen others have success using sonnet thunderbolt adapters etc. on the PCIe/Expresscard cards. I have now been offered an expresscard for a good price and have few Questions:

1. Is there any risk of driver support going away in the near future or can we expect support for as long as you support the other HDSPe solutions you still sell (AIO etc)?

2. Are there any issues/traps I should be aware of with updating the firmware on these cards if I need to?

3. Must the Mac firmware be updated on a Mac and vice versa - I'm guessing yes?

4. Out of curiosity, why were there different firmware version for each OS? It would be great if could just swap between systems as desired without re-flashing.... obviously I'm not expecting you to change anything in this regard wink

Re: HDSPe PCI / Expresscard ongoing driver support and advice

1. Will be further supported.

2. PCIe and ExressCard have a Safety BIOS function and therefore usually have no problems with firmware updates.

3. No. Firmware is the same.

4. At those times the OS and the required hardware support were very different (Mac using Power PC CPU...). Today they are far more similar (both Intel).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your prompt reply Mr Carstens!

Just to confirm... provided the card is on the latest firmware, I'm free to use it back and forth between my PC laptop and Mac at will without any other requirement other than the respective drivers?

Correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME