Topic: Driver installation and ASIO Issues with Windows 10

I have reported before that the driver installer executable rmeinstaller.exe does not work properly. I have used it on three different Windows 10  Pro 64 bit machines, all of which are updated to the latest version ( 1803 ). The installer hangs after the first screen. The task continues to run without any CPU activity and after waiting for approximately 60 seconds appears to continue and finish correctly. However after a reboot the icon for the control tool is not present. To get around this is was necessary to go to the
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\rme directory and run or rerun dpinst64.exe. Incidentally I also tried running as administrator but that made no difference.

On the particular machine I was building today ( core -I7 but with a fairly old socket LGA 1366 motherboard) there was a further problem even then because the ASIO drivers were not working. In Audacity ( built with ASIO support ) no ASIO drivers were even detected. In Foobar 2000 the output could be set to Madiface ASIO but when play was pressed it said that the driver could not be loaded. I checked a number of things but eventually found that I had to disable the Realtek HD Audio ( Realtek ALC889 codec) by switching off the on board audio device in BIOS. Not the first time I have found that Realtek drivers break ASIO ( and not only the RME ASIO drivers).

Re: Driver installation and ASIO Issues with Windows 10

roadster wrote:

I have reported before that the driver installer executable rmeinstaller.exe does not work properly.

1.) activate the preconfigured administrator account in windows 10
2.) log in as administrator (no password needed)
3.) run installation
4.) deactivate preconfigured administrator account in windows 10
5.) log in to your account
6.) enjoy

Running as an administrator from you account is not sufficient.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27115

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

joachim.herbert wrote:
roadster wrote:

I have reported before that the driver installer executable rmeinstaller.exe does not work properly.

1.) activate the preconfigured administrator account in windows 10
2.) log in as administrator (no password needed)
3.) run installation
4.) deactivate preconfigured administrator account in windows 10
5.) log in to your account
6.) enjoy

Running as an administrator from you account is not sufficient.

As it happens I do know how to carry out step 1) but many users would find that difficult, especially if using Windows 10 Home. The installer needs to be fixed so that it is compatible with normal windows standards.

roadster wrote:

The installer needs to be fixed so that it is compatible with normal windows standards.

I fully agree. Unfortunately it seems the problem is not fully acknowledged by rme. But then, after the latest firmware update there is no need to install a driver in most cases, which is especially helpful for average users.

I keep my administrator account enabled all the time and disable admin rights on my user account.
this saves you steps 1 and 4.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13