Topic: Theoretical maximums of asio / buffer / samples

Theoretical maximums of asio / buffer / samples
Has anyone an idea of the Theoretical maximums of asio / buffer / samples?

Say for instance my Fireface can run:

2048 buffer size / samples at 44.1hz
4096 buffer size / samples at 88.2hz
8192 buffer size / samples at 192.1hz

lowest 2 - 47 ms and highest 1 - 43 ms (probably lower than one but ones the lowest)

FL Asio can do only upto 2048 on any Sample rate (hz) but the difference in latency is at lowest 6 - 47 ms and highest 2 - 11 ms

Is there a maximum that a buffer size can run, i.e whats stopping it going up to 16384 or 32768 or even higher

I ask as when i'm mixing i set it as high as it will go so i can run the most plugins, if the PDC is handling it, whats stopping it running at these higher sample rates.

If it could go higher i could also mix at higher hz.

Also my CPU's could easily handle more load as FL maxed out is only stressing them max 50% laptop and 10 -20 on my Tower (when fixed :x ) so the power is there if needed.

Lastly what RME products have the highest sample rate settings are some better than others or are they all set the same.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Theoretical maximums of asio / buffer / samples

You are a little wrong. I tested extensively in the past with very high asio loads (DAW bench) and gains are minimal to none above 1024 samples. Especially with RME. So 2048 or 4096 is a very practical high limit.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Re: Theoretical maximums of asio / buffer / samples

vinark wrote:

You are a little wrong. I tested extensively in the past with very high asio loads (DAW bench) and gains are minimal to none above 1024 samples. Especially with RME. So 2048 or 4096 is a very practical high limit.

But my question is why the limit?

From my own experience i know that lower latency is better for live instruments but the more plugins and mixing the more samples needed.

Whats the highest and lowest sample rate on your HDSP 9656 at 44.1 and 192.k out of interest?

Cheers