Topic: TotalMix Volume Automation in ASIO Direct Monitoring

Hi everybody
I use Cubase 9.5 with a Fireface UCX and I have activated the ASIO Direct Monitoring.
If I disactivate the automation in Cubase, then the faders in TotalMix follow the actions done in the in the Cubase MixConsol : for example, if I add 3 dB on a track, the corresponding input in TotalMix moves of +3 dB.
If I activate the automation in Cubase, then the faders in TotalMix don’t follow the automation. They change only when I stop and replay the music. It seems that the commands are sent only when the music starts.
Is it normal?
How I can automate the TotalMix input faders with Cubase?

My needs are to use during live performance Cubase and TotalMix. For that, I need to be in Direct Monitoring (zero latency) but I would like to increase or decrease the level of the input automatically.

Thanks in advance
Philippe

Re: TotalMix Volume Automation in ASIO Direct Monitoring

Is there anyone to help me ?
Please

3 (edited by ramses 2018-07-05 05:48:26)

I don't know whether you can automate them, fear not.

But other q: do you know already that totalmix input fader do not control the level of input going to the DAW?
The DAW always gets the full input level.
The TM FX input faders only control the level of input for a particular submix (where each HW output is a "submix").

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your response!

Yes, I know that the fader doesn't impact the input level in the DAW.
Our requirements are to use the total mix / Fireface UCX as a mix table in live performance: the guitar and the voice are in direct monitoring and the pianos, bass and drums are played by the DAW.
It will allow us to record all the tracks during live performance. It will be really a great feature if we were able to automate the volume and the pan of the guitar and voice.

This feature seems to be possible: the pan and level in the DAW are sent to TotalMix when we start the song in the DAW (here Cubase), but after there is no update. If I stop then start, the data are updated. It just misses a continuous update.
Any idea?

A workaround? For instance, is it possible to automate the pan and volume via midi?

I just tried it. I am using Sequoia. I can control the Totalmix faders with ADM, but not with volume automation. Automation seems to work only for playback, not for the "incoming" signal.
So I think it is not possible.
Georg