Topic: HDSP 9632 in a New Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit Build

I'm building a new computer and plan to install Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit on it.  Is the HDSP 9632 going to work in this system?  Does it have compatible drivers for Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit?

Now, when I install Windows, should I already have the HDSP 9632 inserted on the PCI slot or should I wait until the Windows install completes before I insert the HDSP 9632 into the PCI slot?  I'm wondering if I already have the HDSP 9632 inserted on the PCI slot when Windows installs, will Windows install a generic driver for it or does Windows already have the correct driver for it?  What is the correct procedure for installing the HDSP 9632 on a new computer in which Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit will be installed?

Thanks in advance for your much appreciated help! smile

Re: HDSP 9632 in a New Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit Build

Drivers are available. The card should NOT be present during Windows installation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Drivers are available. The card should NOT be present during Windows installation.

Thank you so much! smile

Can you please point me to the download page for the Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit driver for the HDSP 9632?  I can't seem to find it in this page...

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads_dr … hive.php#3

I see the the Flash Update Tool in there, though.  Will that Flash Update Tool work in Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit?

Thanks!

Go to 'Up-to-date' drivers instead, version 4.22.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by MTL777 2018-06-06 01:40:13)

MC wrote:

Thank you!

Is the 02/2009 Flash Update Tool - fut_wdm_dsp.zip - the correct one for me to flash the firmware?

For my installation which is a new system build (Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit to be installed for the first time on a new machine), should I install the 4.22 driver first before doing the Flash Update?  What is the correct sequence?

Also, there is a note about HDSP PCI Rev < 1.8.  I bought my HDSP 9632 used and I don't know what Rev it is.  How do I tell if my card's Rev is < 1.8?  Is there any physical indication on the card that can tell me what Rev number it is?

Thanks again!

You do not have the HDSP PCI card, you have a HDSP 9632. The FUT is clearly labelled 10/12/2015, flashing version 1.55.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You do not have the HDSP PCI card, you have a HDSP 9632. The FUT is clearly labelled 10/12/2015, flashing version 1.55.

I went here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/driver/hdspe.php

Oh, I see what you mean about the date 10/12/2015.  But there's a 02/2009 date in the description though:

"Flash Update Tool (02/2009). Updates PCI and CardBus card to hardware revision 17/55, HDSP 9652 to 108, HDSP 9632 to 155, HDSP MADI to 207 and AES-32 to 234."

Anyway, I guess we're talking about the same FUT so that's the right one for me.

Is there a different card called "HDSP PCI card" that is not the same as the HDSP 9632?  I thought "HDSP PCI" was referring to the HDSP 9632 since the HDSP 9632 is a PCI card.  So the note/warning about Rev < 1.8 does not apply to my card and there is no danger of flashing my card?

Should I install the version 4.22 WDM driver first before doing the Flash Update?  What is the correct sequence of doing these steps?

Good catch, that's old text which remained only on the english download page. I'll fix that.
Sequence only matters if you have no driver installed, as the FUT will not work without it.

HDSP PCI:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hds … erface.php

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Good catch, that's old text which remained only on the english download page. I'll fix that.
Sequence only matters if you have no driver installed, as the FUT will not work without it.

HDSP PCI:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hds … erface.php

OK, thanks!

So in my case I will install the 4.22 driver first, then do the Flash Update.

MC wrote:

Is this 4.22 driver also the one to use for Windows XP SP3?

Should work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Should work.

Thank you! smile

Okay, I installed the 4.22 driver in Windows 7 and it was a breeze. Installed the driver, turned off the machine, plugged the card into the PCI slot, turned on the machine and booted Windows, and then got the message that I need to restart to make the changes take effect. After restarting, the driver was already installed. Nothing more to do.

But in Windows XP it was not so simple. After plugging the card into the PCI slot, and turning on the machine to boot Windows, the Found New Hardware Wizard came up. It asked if I want Windows to connect to Windows Update to search for software. I selected No, not this time. Then I was given two choices:

1. Install the software automatically (recommended)
2. Install from a list or specific location (advanced)

Which option should I choose? Will either option work fine, just that #2 is more involved than #1? I'm thinking that #1 is easier and maybe the wizard should already know where to find the driver in my machine. For #2, I'm not sure what location I should point the wizard to, since there was no .inf file extracted and all I did was run the installer exe (I don't know if it extracted an .inf file or where the file was placed if it did).

Option 2 is the old way to install drivers and explained in the old manuals and here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=732

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Option 2 is the old way to install drivers and explained in the old manuals and here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=732

I actually tried option 1 and it did install the driver automatically. I'm just not sure where it got the driver from. Does option 1 also work and achieve the exact same thing as option 2?

If it works - yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

If it works - yes.

I took a look at the driver properties in Device Manager and it's version 4.2.2.0 date 5/3/2018 so it must be okay.

Thanks! smile