Topic: Can't sort a few things out

I'm not sure what i've done wrong, but I recently moved, and somehow, I must have adjusted some settings and now I cannot get my mic to work in windows 10.  I have, or had it working in studio one, but since futzing around trying to even trouble shoot it, I managed to dig an even deeper hole.  What I would like is to have a mic that can be used for say, talking while gaming, or using skype, etc.

Re: Can't sort a few things out

FWIW, I troubleshot inside of windows, and now I cannot even see what was there before, which were 3  different instances of the RME speakers or something like that.  It was really unclear to begin with.

Also, I downloaded and installed the latest drivers, did the whole reboot thing.

You updated Windows 10 to 1803? Then you now need to 'allow' the microphone within Windows settings...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You updated Windows 10 to 1803? Then you now need to 'allow' the microphone within Windows settings...

I'm not sure, but basically it's beyond that point.  On that lower right sound icon thing, the RME option is not there.  I got nothing.  I have 3 monitors, and those are now my outs.  So I can get no sound in windows, even from youtube.  I went from having no mic, to no sound after installing whatever the last driver was for the ufx2.  I'm planning on emailing tech support.  But wow, what a huge mess.

Forget the 'lower sound icon thing'. Go to system Control panel Sound as explained and shown in the UFX II manual. Also explained in the manual is how to change the number of WDM devices, yours might be set to 0. Finally make sure you use the latest driver 0.9673 from our website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's not there.  I have done all that.  I'm in control panel and then sound.  I have no RME options in there.  Only my 3 computer monitors.

So fwiw, I ended up in a tech support call, which included a teamviewer session, and they couldn't figure it out either.  Apparantly there is some sort of moving target in regards to windows updates, and asio versus some other shit.  It's all ridiculously complicated for 2018, one would think this sort of thing would be streamlined.  But if anyone figures it out, let me know.  We agreed that they are going to look into it, and try again next week.

Windows by design is a nasty OS,
it uses own "WDM" audio mode which is somewhat independent from TotalMix FX,
at first, in RME settings (may vary depending on interface you use), make sure you actually allowed some channels to be used by WDM (see this for reference: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/pr … ttings.png ),
then make sure you see any signal being present in Windows audio control panel among inputs,
apps you mentioned (games, skype) are making use of Windows audio mode, so you need to make them work "without" TotalMix FX basically

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra