1 (edited by zendrum 2018-07-10 23:52:39)

Topic: HDSPe MADI fx 96kHz Trouble

I am unable to get my HDSPe MADI fx to sync to MADI streams at 96kHz or 192kHz. All other clock frequencies work fine. I've seen this happen for a while, but I almost never use 96kHz, and I never use 192kHz so I've been avoiding the problem. I now have a new studio client who wants 96kHz so I need to figure it out.

My system:

Windows 8.1 x64, Intel Xeon E5-1660, 16GB Ram ECC, SuperMicro XRS9A

The driver HDSPe MADI fx driver and firmware are the latest version, 1.50/91.

I mostly use Pro Tools, occasionally Reaper.

Antelope Audio Orion connected to MADI 1
SSL Alpha Link Madi SX connected to MADI 2

The Orion is the clock master. The system sync is via word clock, all devices connected directly to BNC connectors on the Orion. I have tried the MADI streams at both 48 frame and 96 frame. Neither will sync to MADI at 96kHz or 192kHz. I made sure to test 48kHz (SMUX) and 96kHz with both the card and the converters set to the same.

I tried having the HDSPe use MADI 1 and 2 as the clock source. It still won't sync to MADI at 96 or 192, all other sample rates are fine.

I tried the HDSPe MADI fx as the clock master. It still won't sync to MADI at 96 or 192, all other sample rates are fine.

44.1, 48, 88.2 and 176.4 always work perfectly.

Input status always shows Word with perfect sync at all frequencies. Only the MADI streams are problematic.

At 96kHz, they jump repeatedly from No Lock to Lock, and the number of channels jumps back and forth from 28 to 32 to 56. Both MADI 1 and MADI 2 show no lock, lock and various sample rates jumping around, but together in unison - both MADI 1 and 2 jump around together at the same time, even though word clock stays sync'd perfectly.

At 192, MADI1 and MAD2 both stay at No Lock.

I have tried different sets of optical cables with no change.

I have tested the system with only the Orion connected, only the SSL connected, and with both. The problem stays the same with only one MADI stream showing, as expected.

I've researched these forums at length, and read and reread the manual.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Re: HDSPe MADI fx 96kHz Trouble

Check for a firmware update of the Orion.

Setting the Orion to Master 96 kHz with SMUX active and letting the HDSPe clock on the MADI input this should work. If not set the HDSPe to Internal and do a loopback cabling to check the card itself.

The Alphalink is known to be problematic at such sample rates for many years, and I don't know if they ever fixed that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: HDSPe MADI fx 96kHz Trouble

Hello Matthias -
As you suggested, I did a loopback test and the card worked perfectly.

I then went back and tested the Orion by itself, and it now works perfectly too.

Must still be something weird with the SSL.

Thanks for your help!