Topic: Varispeed Sample Rates

From the UFX ii (I'm an owner of one) specs:

Supported sample rates: 28 kHz up to 200 kHz

I have a Big Ben with VSO capabilities on it's way.  And my intention is to varispeed the sample rate of a recording project.  From what I understand the UFX ii's capability to tolerate a non-standard rate is only part of the equation.  The software needs to tolerate this also.

I have read on this forum that Mac OSX core audio cannot tolerate this.  Is this also true for iPad class compliant mode?

What options does that leave?  Windows ASIO only?  Are all apps equal in their tolerance?  Please share your knowledge and experience.

Re: Varispeed Sample Rates

Yes, iPad is also very limited. Small deviations are no problem, but bigger changes for intentional manipulation and effects are not possible. ASIO can do this as long as the change is not so big that the DAW notices a 'changed sample rate'  (for example from 48 to 44.1 kHz) and then resets the driver.

You did not mention how much change you want to apply. Simply try it...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Varispeed Sample Rates

Two cases really.

1. Record a vocal with small change in sample rate to give sped up or slowed down effect.  Probably 1-3% change.

2. Doubling the sample rate while dubbing into an old sampler.  I record at 44.1 and 48k so this shouldn't be a problem with any system.

I do not have an iPad yet and was wondering if it was a non-starter.  I have a Mac and PC to try and will do.  From what you say Matthias, perhaps the iPad will work.  Does 1-3% sound like the iPad apps will tolerate?