Topic: Firewire options on new Macbook Pro 2018 with Fireface

Because i nowhere found any significant information about this topic, i just ask again.

There are two possible configurations to work with a Fireface 800 on a new Macbook Pro.

Option 1:
Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter --> Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter --> Fireface 800

Options 2:
OWC THUNDERBOLT 3 DOCK 13 Ports-model --> Fireface 800

Question 1:
Are these options known to work with a new MacBook Pro 2018?

Question 2:
Are there other options?

Re: Firewire options on new Macbook Pro 2018 with Fireface

chiptune wrote:

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter --> Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter --> Fireface 800
Question 1: Are these options known to work with a new MacBook Pro 2018?

Since I have access to the "new" TouchBar MacBookPro with USB-C outputs, I could maybe help.

What I could do is buy one of those USB-C -> Thunderbolt 2 adapters, and plug my Thunderbolt->FireWire Adapter -> FireFace UCX in and see what happens. I did hear some rumors that this would make the FireFace UCX not get power via FireWire.

It'd be an interesting experiment, but I''m not sure how much the USB-C -> Thunderbolt 2 -adapter would cost. I worry it'll be another one of those 80€ investments, which I can't swing for currently.

Ouch, it is 58,90€ sad

RME Fireface UCX (macOS Mojave, Mid-2015 MBP)<-in use
RME Multiface (XP, PCG-GRX690) <-in a closet

Thanks!

Just to answer myself, and for anybody who is in the same situation

I have a new MacBook Pro 13 (2018) / 2.7 Quad-Core

I use Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter --> Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter --> Fireface 800

It's working! (also with very low latencies)

(Tested with Logic Pro X; MacOSX Mojave)

Of course I can't guarantee that this will always be the case. But for now everything seems to work out fine.

Thanks for posting that information Chiptune. That's really helpful to me!

Have you heard anything about the OWC dock?

Hey thanks for this info. I'm looking at getting one of the new mac mini's and have a fireface 400 I don't want to part with.

Have you noticed any lag or latency issues?

chiptune wrote:

Thanks!

Just to answer myself, and for anybody who is in the same situation

I have a new MacBook Pro 13 (2018) / 2.7 Quad-Core

I use Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter --> Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter --> Fireface 800

It's working! (also with very low latencies)

(Tested with Logic Pro X; MacOSX Mojave)

Of course I can't guarantee that this will always be the case. But for now everything seems to work out fine.

Hi Chiptune,
after one month using your 2 adapters before your fireface, can you report us if it's still working.
I'm planning to do the same.

Its working smoothly.
... also daisy chained with a caldigit ts3 plus

MacBook -> caldigit ts3 plus -> th3 to th2 adapter -> th2 to fw800 adapter -> fireface

MacBook -> th3 to th2 adapter -> th2 to fw800 adapter -> fireface

8 (edited by colin 2018-12-18 12:45:17)

Just a word of caution: I had seen this post prior to investing in the new Mac Mini (2018), which also only has USB-C ports. So I purchased the adapters (nearly £100) and my old Fireface 800 is connected and delivers clean audio as expected - but sadly only for a minute or two at a time!

The dropouts are always the same: 4-5 seconds of silence, a short glitch (under a second), 4-5 seconds more silence and then we're back in the game! This is on playback via any app outputting sound - Logic, iTunes, YouTube, standalone VIs etc. I haven't tried recording yet. Software continues to run as normal with no glitches in the graphics (meters etc.) just dropouts in the audio output.

Whether this is to do with the adapters, Mojave, or the latest RME Driver is anyone's guess? Everything is up to date. Have reported to Apple but they are throwing it back to RME. Lots of speculation in the forums but nothing from RME Support in nearly a week - have tried email as well! Is there anybody working here still?? If nothing else it would just be nice to know someone is working on it, otherwise I need to consider the expense of a new audio interface.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28006