Topic: Official Linux drivers/tools a possibility?

Now that Reaper, Bitwig, Tracktion, Ardour etc is available under Linux and plugin developers are starting to release Linux versions of their plugins or are considering doing so, is RME considering making their configuration tools and drivers available under Linux?

Re: Official Linux drivers/tools a possibility?

We think about this from time to time, but most often we simply don't have the time left to even start it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It is great to hear that you think about it every now and then but sad that you don't have the time to make it a reality. What would have to be done/change/etc to make it possible?

I've been keeping an eye on Linux for many years and I think the time has finally come for me to drop Windows. Something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I've been holding back mostly because of the lack of a viable DAW for me on the platform. Now both reaper and bitwig is on there, two really good DAWs and more developers seem to pay more attention to the platform.

I'd love for RME to take the lead here so I can bring my babyface pro with me when I buy a new laptop with Linux in a month or two!

MC wrote:

We think about this from time to time, but most often we simply don't have the time left to even start it.

Being a Linux user since 1996 I mainly chose the Babyface Pro because of the usb compliant mode, but it is just not enough. I'm not the only one in the same situation.
Having the software ported to Linux would be a big purchase decision maker for many.

Please consider it!
At least open-source the protocols used between totalmix and the hardware so we can control it ourselves...

No one seems to care (except XMOS which are doing a great job on some DJ-mixer systems that just works!)

I don't get why the hardware controls such as gain, phantom etc isn't exposed via UAC Feature units, then it would work out-of-the-box with ALSA Mixer for instance. Just the way USB Audio device Class was designed to work.

MOTU has the same lockdown and weird proprietary control software... I really hope there is a soundcard maker that realizes this soon and just drop the fuzz and makes a rock solid USB soundcard which is 100% class compliant.