Topic: Connecting a subwoofer to the ADI2 DAC?

I intend to purchase an ADI2 DAC to feed music to my Neumann KH120 active speakers. Great speakers but not quite enough base. Is there a way to connect a powered subwoofer to the ADI2 DAC?

Re: Connecting a subwoofer to the ADI2 DAC?

Usually you would get a matched sub that includes the crossover. This way, you connect out of the DAC to the sub, then out of the sub to the LR monitors.

The match for your KH 120 is the Neumann KH 805.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hello

I use XLR for the main amplifier and Stereo RCA for a active subwoofer (Focal Electra SW1000BE)

The Setup with RCA and XLR parallel use works perfect.

best regards from Austria

when you use a adi 2 pro fs you can output ch 1/2 to your main speakers with or without x-over filtering , and then output ch 3/4 to your sub(s) and use the x-overfiltering at your sub(s)

and what about an RME ADI2-PRO (no fs)? any recomendation?
thanks

DAW: W10 mini PC (i5)
Server: JRiver 30+Dirac+Acon Declick
DAC: RME ADI2 PRO Speakers ATC SCM50ASL

6 (edited by ramses 2018-11-13 18:09:24)

stanzanim wrote:

and what about an RME ADI2-PRO (no fs)? any recomendation?
thanks

ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 Pro FS are 99% identical. Only difference: FS clock and auto dark mode if I remember right.

So, if you can get a good ADI-2 Pro used, eventually also with warranty, you can save some money by this. Its not critical not to have FS clock. The whole music industry survived for decades without FS clock, before they became available last recently wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by stanzanim 2018-11-16 14:16:07)

thanks much and sorry for the silly question abot FS smile. This message is to sum up and have a good pratcice checkilist for systems with subwoofers
I understand that for a 2.1 (or 2.n) setup I have to setup an High Pass Filter in the 1/2 outputs (e.g. 60 Hz @ 12dB/oct) and a LPF on 3/4 output: in case of two subs I will connect 3 output to sub 1 and 4 output to sub2 (after setting up line mode to phone 3/4: I do this by turning hi-Power mode off in the 12.3 Phones Output 3/4 section pag.23 right?)
I am doing my homework the, reading the User’s Guide ADI-2 Pro – v 1.91. I see 12.1.2 Parametric EQ is the analogue input section: does it means PEQ / LPF / HPF can only be applied to analogue input? How to I setup HPF for output 1/2 and LPF for output 3/4? This does not match the 5.4. Overview Menu Structure which correctly shows PEQs for every outputs and for analogue input as well ( i can for example filter out with a steep LPF the very low frequency noise of a vynil setup right)

Referring to section 21.5 PH Out 3/4 I understand "Output PH 3/4 can also be used as unbalanced line output, see PH Out 1/2." by (again) turning hi-Power mode off in the 12.3 Phones Output 3/4 section pag.23 right?

Last question: what about multiple (more than 2) subwoofers? I think I can daisy chain them, provided there is a LFE in and out available, right?
Thanks much for your help

A subwoofer always has connectors for the satellites.
All you need to do it to connect the ADI-2 Pro to your subwoofer, the rest is being done inside incl. to avoid phase issues and to properly split the frequencies of Subwoofer Bass and the Satellites.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses
Do your comments deal with active loudspeakers like the ARC SCM 1xx ASL?
I cannot see (line) outputs for this REL T9 file:///C:/Users/mstanzani/Downloads/REL_Serie_T_Manual.pdf

See Neumann KH 805 Manual.

I am also thinking of adding a subwoofer to my system and I wonder if someone could help clarify a few points.  I currently use an RME ADI-2 Pro as a pre, feeding a power amp and passive speakers.

Ideally I would:

• send a signal with high pass filter to the power amp/passive speakers

• send a signal with low pass filter to a sub

• control the volume of the whole system with the RME's volume knob

• apply system-wide PEQ, auto REF and loudness compensation

Is this possible with either the RME ADI-2 Pro FS or DAC FS? 

If not, could I achieve this by sending a volume-attenuated digital signal with no DSP from the ADI-2 Pro to an external DSP unit e.g. DSPeaker Anti Mode or miniDSP 2x4 HD, to control the sub?

12 (edited by Curt962 2019-09-16 01:41:11)

Raduval, etc,

(Welcome to the Forum!)

Many Fine suggestions posted already.  In 2019, most leading Subs make connectivity quite simple.  Output of your ADI-2 DAC to the Sub.  Sub outputs Hi-Pass to Mains Amp/Active Speakers.   XO, Phase, Sub Level, etc are controllable via the Sub itself.(in MOST...not all...Cases)   

Connectivity is the EASY PART!   Positioning the Subs, Level Matching,.etc can be a Challenge, but certainly a Worthwhile effort.   Ideally...we want a  Sub set-up that does a "disappearing act", and simply makes your Neumanns seem MUCH LARGER than they actually are.   smile:)

Good Fun!!

All the Best for Happy Listening.

Curt

PS:  In your Homework, let's consider your Room Size, placement restrictions, etc.   "Thunderous Deep Bass" sure seems good at the HiFi Shop, but can be difficult to achieve in a Tiny Room, with Wife dictating policy in terms of Speaker/Sub placement.  smile

So...REALLY do your Homework, but we'll all be happy to at least TRY to help

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Hi Curt - I should have realised that connecting a power amp to the sub is exactly the same as connecting active speakers.  Thanks for clarifying.

Manoman Jas0..

I waited all day for your Sub install notes.

Oh well...there's always tomorrow. smile smile

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Manoman Jas0..

I waited all day for your Sub install notes.

Oh well...there's always tomorrow. smile smile

Curt

Sorry Curt - currently very much at the ideas and planning stage.  Still need to go sub shopping...

ramses wrote:

All you need to do it to connect the ADI-2 Pro to your subwoofer, the rest is being done inside incl. to avoid phase issues and to properly split the frequencies of Subwoofer Bass and the Satellites.

yes BUT
. have two subs (REL 528 SE)
. my active speakers does have XLR input (ATC SCM50ASL)
. my subs does not have XLR input or outputs
So I connected *both* subs to the PH2/3 configured as line out and let the RME HP filtering for the subs. Main line output (XLR) are LP filtered to make their woofer job easy
I am discussing this

stanzanim wrote:
ramses wrote:

yes BUT
. have two subs (REL 528 SE)
. my active speakers does have XLR input (ATC SCM50ASL)
. my subs does not have XLR input or outputs
So I connected *both* subs to the PH2/3 configured as line out and let the RME HP filtering for the subs. Main line output (XLR) are LP filtered to make their woofer job easy
I am discussing this

This is interesting.  So the ADI-2 Pro allows you to output two stereo line level signals, each with different DSP settings?

Of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Of course.

Does the ADI-2 dac also allow this?

No, ADI-2 DAC has only 1 DA converter.

Hey All,

This discussion brings up another matter when choosing a Subwoofer.    It seems that many (not all) Subs "expect" the Bass Mgmt/Freq Division to be handled by another device such as a AV Processor.    Such a Sub puts us Die-Hard 2Ch users in a bit of a Pinch.

For Me?  Absent the HT gadgetry, On-Board processing/DSP within the Sub itself was a major factor influencing my purchase decision. 

My SVS Subs do this.   Works great! smile

Curt

Thanks all.  Ha - there is never a perfect product... if only the ADI-2 Pro had a remote... or the DAC had two DACs.

Slightly off topic, but is a remote upgrade option ever likely for the Pro?

23 (edited by Curt962 2019-09-18 01:17:14)

Jas0_0 wrote:

Thanks all.  Ha - there is never a perfect product... if only the ADI-2 Pro had a remote... or the DAC had two DACs.

Slightly off topic, but is a remote upgrade option ever likely for the Pro?

Jas...What?   Haven't you read the Brochures??   Audio was "Perfected" with the RCA Victrola in the 1920s Man!!  smile:)

Sony Re-Perfected Audio in 1982.  "Perfect Sound Forever"  smile

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/28/1e … da1ade.jpg

Curt

I am not sure about the entire market, but many subwoofers do not have a main speaker output, let alone with a high pass filter. What they have is a low pass filter for the subwoofer, and that is it. You can connect the sub to the ADI-2 DAC rca output and the main speakers to the xlr output of the ADI-2, if that is what the power amplifier or the active speakers have as a connection (if they only have rca, you will need a Y cable). If you want to reduce low frequency output to the main speakers, the simplest solution would be something like the Harrison Labs Fmods.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

25 (edited by Curt962 2019-09-19 03:30:43)

Let's familiarize ourselves with the Market. 

https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofer … KUQAvD_BwE

I'm an 8yr Owner of SVS Subs.   Wonderful Products that come with not only a VERY GENEROUS In-Home Trial allowance, but also Reference Class Tech Support, and Customer Assistance at no extra cost.   

Curt

26 (edited by Curt962 2019-09-20 01:42:23)

All,

In my previous post referencing the SVS website, DO investigate the "Resources" section!    This is Rock Solid information supported by Math, and Science, that applies to ANY Subwoofer regardless of Brand.   The Author of many of these articles was MY Engineer (Ed Mullen), and he knows what He's talking about.  No BS. smile

Have Fun all!

Curt

willem wrote:

I am not sure about the entire market, but many subwoofers do not have a main speaker output, let alone with a high pass filter. What they have is a low pass filter for the subwoofer, and that is it. You can connect the sub to the ADI-2 DAC rca output and the main speakers to the xlr output of the ADI-2, if that is what the power amplifier or the active speakers have as a connection (if they only have rca, you will need a Y cable). If you want to reduce low frequency output to the main speakers, the simplest solution would be something like the Harrison Labs Fmods.

It does not seem simple to me big_smile And might be a nightmare to make it sound right...
https://reho.st/self/22d98addd62a447ebbee7b839f5479bc5488030e.jpg

I would strongly recommand a sub with an integrated bass management system...
You connect the ADI to the sub, and the sub to the speakers. And as Curt said, then you read the manual of the sub! smile

https://static-neumann.s3.amazonaws.com/img/1352/x1_KH-805-Back_Neumann-Studio-Subwoofer_G.jpg

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Raduval,.et al

Hope all works out for You.   Without any feedback however, further commentary is unwarranted.   

Curt