Topic: RayDAT & Word Clock 9632 Expansion Module - confused

Hello.
In the manual for the WCO module, it states the following in setup instructions:

To switch from the HDSP's internal clock to the WCM's clock, activate the mode 'Word Clock' in the field 'Pref. Sync Ref' of the Settings dialog. Also select 'AutoSync' in the field 'Clock Mode'. The field 'System Clock' will indicate that the card has changed
into clock mode 'Slave'.
The external signal is now used as reference. At the same time, the frequency (Freq.) of the input signal is displayed.

Trouble is, the screen I see in the HDSP settings has none of this at all, so what to do?
Please see attached screenshot.
I have the cable running from WC Out (one of them) on the RayDAT to WC In on my ADI-8 DS Pro.
I have set Clock Source to Internal and it flashes between "Lock" and "Sync" for ADAT 1
Is this correct? The PDF is simply not correct in any of it's screen shots for this, and I need to be sure things are correctly set up of course. Word Clock does not seem to have any options at all in the HDSP configuration section.
What have I missed please?

Re: RayDAT & Word Clock 9632 Expansion Module - confused

Is the ADI-8 DS set to external clock source?

Regards,
Audio AG Support

It is much easier and better to use adat for sync. Connect both adat in and outs to the ADI. Then choose which one you want to be master. I use the ADI as master. Set the Raydat to sync to the used adat port and ready. If you want the Raydat to be master, set it to internal and set the ADI to sync to adat in. WC is not better and is more prone to electrical disturbance.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Audio AG Support wrote:

Is the ADI-8 DS set to external clock source?

Gotcha.
Set to External in the Clock Section - thank you.
I had forgotten about this.

@Vinark.
Quick question for you.
If I use ADAT, then how will I sync a set of external compressors? I have a pair of DBX 162SL units I want to add into Nuendo as external units. What is the best way to hook everything up please?
Last time I tried this using the analogue in-out for these via a second ADI-8 DS, I kept getting a clicking sound because they were not properly clocked and WC is the only way I can see to do this, running from the RayDAT as the clock out.
I may well of course be missing something obvious.....

If I understand you correctly, you want to use 2 ADI's? Without WC you need to connect both with adat in and outs. Now you have a choice, 1 ADI master and raydat and the other ADI slave or both ADI's slave and the raydat master. It is best practice to have your main analogue in and outs as master since afaik the ADI has no steadyclock. So main ADI as master Say adat port 1), raydat as slave to that adat1 input. Must read sync in hdsp setting. Second ADI set to external sync adat. Now this one should also read as sync in HDSP settings.
If you prefer you can also set the raydat as master (internal) and both ADI's synced to ADAT. Again both adat ports should read as sync in the hdsp settings.
But if it works now after Joosts reply, you can of course leaf it like that. Of course understanding clocking is handy and it is very easy and linear ones you get it.

Vincent, Amsterdam

6 (edited by ramses 2018-08-17 07:13:15)

I recommend, to make the interface which is directly connected to the computer, to act as clock master.

If your sample frequency should change, i.e. between 44.1 and 48 kHz, then all the connected devices automatically get the correct clock (without having to modify the clock additionally on the clock master behind the RayDAT), which is too much fiddeling around for my taste.

So, if the RayDAT (which has steadyclock) is clock master, then it can synchronize one ore more ADI-2 Pro via ADAT (OUT ).
It can also synchronize other devices via AES or coaxial SPDIF, assumed that the outgoing digital port is connected to the device which is clock slave.

If there is no digital outgoing port free anymore to connect and clock another device, then use WC additionally, as the RayDAT as clock master will send out clock information via WC and all outgoing digital ports (ADAT, AES, koax SPDIF).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by vinark 2018-08-17 07:22:56)

I don't think the old ADI's follow sample rate chances anyway and if I remember correctly even MC advices to run the old ADI as master since it has no jitter correction.
Edit:
Ah I checked, yes they do follow sample rate changes, I just never change.... The other point stands though, for best converter results run the ADI on internal clock.

Vincent, Amsterdam

The ADI certainly does seem to be following the RayDAT as master - I have this set to "internal", the ADI set to "Input" and the days of the double switch (changing SR in both HDSP Control Panel & on the ADI) are gone.
It also works set to "external", but currently I am thinking "Input" refers to ADAT sync?
I have not yet set up the second ADI, but suspect I will need to as I require 4 inputs and 4 outputs, and only have 2 outputs left on ADI-8 A so will have to set to ADI-8 B for the DBX units.
As the DBX are analogue units I will need to feed them from ADI-8 B - so how best to clock it?
I can still use ADAT, but it would be a different set of ADAT ports and in the past this has caused clicking noise as I did not have proper sync (and never had the time too run it down until now) so stopped trying to use them.
The RayDAT has 2 WC out & 1 WC in, or should I still use ADAT - and if so what is the correct configuration please?
Currently I have stable clock with the RayDAT as the master (set to "internal" clock source in the HDSP control panel), and the DAW is set to ASIO Audio Device for it's timecode source (this is correct, yes?)

The second one should be set to input too, so clock from adat. The sync status for the second adat should read sync then The raydat will stay the same as master.
Yes Input is adat, external WC
So recap, raydat internal, both ADI's clock from input. Sync status in hdsp settings should read sync for both.

Vincent, Amsterdam