1 (edited by tonatona 2018-08-17 18:23:00)

Topic: Volume level problem

Hi,

i have a weird issue with the just bought used Fireface UFX+. Normally -9dB was the standard volume level in my room with all interfaces at +4dBu, but with the Fireface UFX+ i have to go up to -1dB.

I made the following setup for checking:

The same signal, no matter ASIO or WDM, goes to the main out of the Fireface UFX+ and via ADAT to Sonic Core (Ferrofish) A16 Ultra. The level is set to 0dB in the software playback channel for both. The level of the hardware output AN1/2 is set to +4dBu, as well as on the A16 per switch. I expected the same volume with the same speakers but the Fireface UFX+ is much more quiet, the volume difference is appr. 8dB. The A16 doesn't have a volume control, it is a pure converter.
I'm on windows 10, the firmware and the driver are latest. Total reset in the total mix and reset to factory default on the unit didn't help.

Re: Volume level problem

tonatona wrote:

i have a weird issue with the just bought used Fireface UFX+. Normally -9dB was the standard volume level in my room with all interfaces at +4dBu, but with the Fireface UFX+ i have to go up to -1dB.

You didn't mention against which other product you compare before and after.

So .. which other interface did you use and what settings did it have.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The UFX+ manual explains what output level is achieved at what reference level and which headroom is used. Choose +19 (HiGain) instead and it will be more like what you expect.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by tonatona 2018-08-18 22:30:22)

I compaired my Babyface Pro with Fireface UFX+ at HiGain, the volume is the same. So the unit is perfect.
I guess it is better to stay at +4dBu and keep the volume near 0dB instead of HiGain and -9dBu?