1 (edited by doof 2018-08-18 16:56:46)

Topic: technical questions related to my workflow with ADI2 pro

Hello, i'm RME user for years, and i'm about to buy an ADI2 PRO because it's exactly what i need.
But without Totalmix, i'm not sure it can match my workflow on MacOs.

1-Without totalmix, i supose i lose monitor output level on the MacOS keyboard.....no?

2-I need to monitor on DIGICHECK the usb audio coming from the computer, as digicheck is only working for input,
   if i do a loop with digital AES xlr for example, i think i can see the USB output on the Digicheck AES input... no?

3-I need sometimes to record quickly in my audio-workstation audio coming from another software or from internet.
   I mean, do play anyware and record in my software at the same time, can i do that without Totalmix ?
   Is the digital AES loop a solution for this too ?

4-If i move to windows 10, does the drivers gave me more options for this 3 quetions ?

Thank you for taking time to a response.

Re: technical questions related to my workflow with ADI2 pro

1. There are workarounds, like the app Sound Control.

2. Yes, AES, SPDIF or ADAT can be used to loopback the playback signal.

3. Loopback would be a way, but might introduce latency.

4. Not really, as there is also no TotalMix under Windows. Just DIGICheck is easier to use.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for this quick reply, i'm not confortable with "no more driver" but it's like that..
I will test this sort of app to conttol the output level, it seems to be convenient. I hope that i wil not lose sound in it.
I would prefer use the hardware pot level of the ADI2 PRO, but it's going to be at 5m from my listening spot.
Do you have a reliable solution to put the ADI2 PRO at 5m from the computer ? You told about a usb galvanic isolation box in a
post (can't remember the name) but it's around 300€ if i remember well. Any cheaper solution ?

Thank you again.

Connect a Digiface USB to your PC.
Then you can use an up to 15-20m long TOSLINK cable to connect to the ADI-2 Pro FS.
And .. as you have TotalMix FX .. you can also add an ARC USB to this solution.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … tup-EN-DE/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … talMix-FX/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you, i have already a fireface and off course i can use it like you said, but the idea is to only have two box, the computer and the soundcard, i'm moving my workstation a lot from home to studios and i'm tired of carrying bags and cables, i'm not using any more the spdif out of my fireface because the connection is moving a lot behind the soundcard, and i think it's going to brake if i do more connections and disconnections of spdif cable. I now use toslink to feed my mytek converter.
Does an active usb cable be reliable ?

Yes, active (repeater) cables work.

You might get ground loop problems when you connect them across the room and then would need to use a galvanic isolator on the USB connection. There are two available that have been tested by us and are known to work. One is the ALLDAQ USB 3.0 isolator:

https://www.alldaq.com/en/products/pc-s … sb-30-iso/

the other one is the Intona:

https://pro.intona.eu/en/products/7054#overview

The ALLDAQ's advantage is clear - it even supports USB 3, so can be used with a UFX+ or MADIface XT.

If you don't need USB 3 then the Intona is the technically better solution. The ALLDAQ is detected by the OS as hub, which means that it uses additional USB resources. The Intona is fully transparent, it is not visible to the OS and does not take up additional resources. Also its output voltage on the secondary side is super-clean.

But before you order try first if you really need them.

And a word of warning: there is a new USB 2 isolator available from HiFime, the cheapest one ever offered:

https://hifimediy.com/high-speed-usb-isolator-480Mbps

I have this latest version (got it 2 weeks ago) and it sucks big time. It was clear that it will not be fully transparent (hub), but it does not even work as expected. ADI-2 Pro and DAC (isochronous transmission): the USB error counter in the Settings dialog counts up constantly, and there is an audible drop-out with every count. Fireface UCX (interrupt transmission): Audio output only for half a second every second, no USB errors shown.

Additionally the USB output voltage is 5.57V unloaded and still 5.47V when connecting a non-bus powered unit. That is much too high, USB spec allows 5.25V max. This device should have never started to ship.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you both for your reply, it seems i just have to make a choice now.
I will test the reliability of the software level first, it can save money if it works !