1 (edited by JRT 2018-09-02 02:10:45)

Topic: RME MADI, Win10, Win7, and WASAPI in exclusive mode

I have some RME MADI converters (ADI-6432 and several M-32 DA) and am interested in buying an RME MADI interface (maybe MADIface XT, or maybe something else, have not decided, am open to anything on any bus) and was looking at information on the drivers for Win10, or maybe Win7. The software that I want to use in this setup does not use ASIO, rather is optimized for use with WASAPI in exclusive mode.

(Question 1) Do any of the RME drivers for MADI interfaces support and work well with WASAPI in exclusive mode in Win10 ?

(Question 2) ... in Win7 ?

(Question 3) ... and if yes, which interfaces and which drivers and which bus (PCIe, USB2, USB3, etc.) with which OS?

Re: RME MADI, Win10, Win7, and WASAPI in exclusive mode

All our drivers support WASAPI in all variations, except that you can't change the sample rate via WASAPI. That only works via ASIO or manually.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

All our drivers support WASAPI in all variations, except that you can't change the sample rate via WASAPI. That only works via ASIO or manually.

Thank you for the quick and helpful response.

4 (edited by ramses 2018-09-02 07:39:08)

On top of your questions a few recommendations.

If you do not need multiple MADI channels then the UFX+ would be great because as flagship interface it offers many useful options over the MADIface XT.
- improved analog section
- FX chip
- latest converter technology as the device came out last recently in 2016
- Durec with timestamps (RTC)
- fully standalone operation per display
- USB3 and Thunderbolt
- 8 analog i/o channels
- ARC USB can be plugged directly to the device which is useful for standalone operation
- two ADAT I/O where ADAT2 can be switched to support SPDIF
- can be placed into a standard rack
- price is very attractive as it has been lowered to around  €2400 (300 less compared to its introduction price).

As you know thunderbolt is PCIE.

If you need/want a built-in card then you can decide between two HDSPe depending on the amount of MADI channels, FX, analog out.

MADIface XT is interesting in terms of form factor and the amount of MADI channels. But if you need only one, then I would choose UFX+.

UFX+ has from driver perspective the advantage that many devices use the MADIface driver so your DAW can access them all at once. Especially useful if you want to improve D/A conversion later by adding the ADI-2 Pro. This unit is then also accessible from DAW by the MADIface driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by JRT 2018-09-02 22:19:46)

Ramses, Thank you for taking the time to make the suggestion in favor of the UFX+.  I need to investigate a few alternatives in other aspects of the system design before deciding on the MADI interface.

6 (edited by ramses 2018-09-03 06:26:58)

MADI is a good decision if you consider the potential.

• Dedicated network Infrastructure for audio

• 64 channels, still 32 @88.2/96 kHz

• Glass fibre connection with lower dampening supporting up to 2km cable length between every (!) device which allows for a very flexible ring structure from recording interface across several MADI devices in different recording rooms back to the interface.

• The separately available RNE "MADI router" allows to consequently expand this concept to route different MADI devices to one or more DAWs.

• MIDI over MADI extension allows remote control of devices without dedicated MIDI cable which wouldn't support far distances anyway.

• An automatic latency compensation between the up to 8 devices connected to one MADI channel can be configured on each MADI device.

• Any to any Routing with Totalmix FX across all 8 MADI devices is possible.

All RME converters and preamps supporting MADI can be used as you like on the MADI channel and they are remote controllable by a RME application called MIDI remote which is free of charge.

Use case Octamic XTC

The Octamic XTC preamp is special, as it is the only device that can be integrated as so called "AUX device" into Totalmix FX.

This makes it possible to remote control the most important parameters (Gain, panning, PAD, Instrument,  ...) of up to 8 (!!!) Octamic XTC's connected to ie UFX+ in the one Totalmix  FX instance of your UFX and to even store all these settings digitally into a Totalmix FX snapshot.

The Octamic XTC can additionally be fully controlled in the recording room and if you change ie the gain at the device itself you can see faders moving in TM Fx and finally store as settings at snapshot, which is a big time saver if you need to quickly switch between settings.

Another big advantage is the versatility of the XTC itself:

• All 8 Inputs can be used by XLR plugs for either MIC''s or balanced line inputs.This saves you the purchase cost for extra AD converter if you have ie to record from a mixer console.

• Input 1-4 via TS plug supports PAD, 5-8 supports Instrument Input.

• XTC also offers ADAT, 4 AES and two phones outputs

• You can also use this device as format converter.

So .. a setup consisting of ie UFX+ and up to 8 Octamic XTC is a real killer in terms of quality and features.
And this MADI concept is further expandable by the use of the MADI router.

My setup consists of 2 UFX+:

One inside of a guitar rig emulating a parallel FX loop for my guitar amp and to integrate different guitar FX into the high quality parallel effect loop and to act as tape deck, connect guitars and for re-am ping the recorded guitar signal from Instrument Input.

The other UFX as main recording interface  to connect ADI-2 Pro as high end ADDA converter and 2 x Octamic XTC
PLUS making the connection to another ADI-2 DAC in front of my HiFi which is of good quality which can be used as second pair of monitors as the monitors are very honest kind of analytic which is rare for HiFi speakers.

More infos and examples you can find in the MADI Infocenter, see RME homepage.

I think this is the picture you should have in mind for your further planning.
Hope this helps you further.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13