Topic: ADI-648: Double Wire or 96K Frame?

When system is Word Clocked to 96k, is there any practical difference between choosing Double Wire or 96K Frame on the ADI-648?

It seems from my reading from the manual (below) that inasmuch as the ADAT ports will all be limited to 4 channels and require 2 ADAT links for input and 2 ADAT links for output, it is six of one and half-dozen of another.

Am I missing something?

"If a MADI signal in Double Wire format (standard frame) is present at the input, technically no
special processing is activated, because the output signals will be in Sample Split format
(S/MUX) right away.

In 96K FRAME mode, the ADI-648 automatically converts Double Speed data to Sample Split
(S/MUX). The data of one MADI channel will be processed and routed to two ADAT channels
according to the following table:"

Thank you.

UFX+, ADI-648, Win 10, i7 10 core 3Ghz 64 Gb, Cubase 9, PT 12.8

Re: ADI-648: Double Wire or 96K Frame?

The practical difference is on the MADI output side: thanks to 96k Frame mode the following MADI receiver will know that 88.2 or 96 kHz are coming in.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: ADI-648: Double Wire or 96K Frame?

MC wrote:

The practical difference is on the MADI output side: thanks to 96k Frame mode the following MADI receiver will know that 88.2 or 96 kHz are coming in.

Thanks! Got it.

One more puzzlement. Why does the BNC LED flash even when there is no WC input? I have the ADI-648 MADI clocked from the UFX+.

UFX+, ADI-648, Win 10, i7 10 core 3Ghz 64 Gb, Cubase 9, PT 12.8