Topic: HDSP 9632 and XLR

I'm shortly going to buy a breakout cable for my HDSP 9632.

I believe the RME BO9632XLRMKH is compatible and will provide balanced XLR inputs, so I can set up two XLR microphones to provide a stereo recording.

Will the HDSP 9632 provide phantom power or am I going to need to put a microphone preamp inbetween my microphones and the card?

Thanks!

Re: HDSP 9632 and XLR

There is no phantom power and no preamplification - i.e. you can't connect microphones directly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2018-09-04 12:52:28)

The product description on webpage and handbook tell clearly 1x analog i/o, no mic preamps.

So you need a separate Mic Preamp for this purpose, either
a) QuadMic II to be connected via analog in (balanced) or
b) OctaMic II to be connected via ADAT IN which allows for up to 8 channels @44.1/48 kHz.

When going for a) you should get the optional analogue expansion board for inputs to be able to use all 4 Mic inputs of the QuadMic II.

Option a) would be also useful in cases where you want or need to reserve the ADAT port for optical SPDIF connection.

Option b) gives you more flexibility as the Octamic II inputs  can be used as either Mic or Line inputs. The received signals will be send out via ADAT, line out and AES (4x AES out via breakout cable). Also nice, Gain knobs for every input and everything maintainable by front switches and Potis.

A more expensive as well as flexible option would be the investment into the Octamic XTC and to connect it via ADAT.

This gives  you additional options like 2 additional phones output's,  4 x AES IN and OUT, ADAT IN and OUT.

XTC also supports MADI and can be used as format converter. Additionally it supports class compliant mode so that you can connect it directly to Windows or iPAD. So for an iPAD it can act as strong / flexible recording interface.

The phones outputs can also be used as unbalanced line output for ie speakers.

As it supports MADI the XTC can be integrated  later into very nice MADI setups for very flexible solutions starting with ie a MADIface recording interface.

Therefore the XTC would be well invested money if you want to scale your solution later.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Of course any mic preamp or mixer will do.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632