Topic: Mono left OR right signal from DAW ends up left AND right in TMFX

Not sure if this is the right section but I suspect my issue is with a setting in TotalMix FX. This just started happening and all I've changed lately are some MIDI settings as far as I can remember. This is a Fireface 800 running Mainstage on a Macbook Pro with El Capitan.

A signal coming out of Mainstage Output 1-2 but pan hard left, and showing as on on the left on the Output 1-2 meter, will come out on both sides in the TotalMix FX meters: AN 1 and 2 and Main. This doesn't happen if I use 3-4 as my outputs, that keeps L and R on their sides. Pics below. Any clue what is happening?

https://i.imgur.com/LnboXK0.png

Re: Mono left OR right signal from DAW ends up left AND right in TMFX

Mono function active somewhere in the DAW. Disable Channel EQ and any Plug-Ins.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks. But no luck.

I tried removing the channel EQ plug-in completely and it's still the same in TotalMix FX. I even created a new project with nothing but a synth channel with no plug-ins there or on Main, and it still happens. I can even have both the synth channel and the Main channel panned hard left, but TotalMix FX still shows signals on both sides.

Same thing happens in Logic Pro and Audition. I created a stereo mp3 with a blank left side and opened it in Audition but TotalMix FX still shows a signal on both sides.

Very odd.

The signal is going to two channels in the Software Playback, so it must be something that happens in your software. Please test this with other software, e.g. Reaper.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

I have tried Adobe Audition and Logic with the same result in TotalMix FX. I'll try with Reaper later but it really seems to be something happening after whatever software or DAW I'm using.

Thanks

Ok so I installed Reaper and it does the same thing as all the other DAWs I've tried. I can run a signal on only the left OR right main out of the DAW but TotalMix FX still shows a signal evenly on left AND right.

Starting to feel like I'm in crazy town. Can it be ghosts or the government or something?

You have a tool installed that re-routes Core Audio? Is the speaker setup in Audio MIDI Setup for the FF800 wrong? What does the Audio MIDI setup show for the FF800 playback?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Nothing I can find or think of re-routes Core Audio. And everything looks right as far as I know:

https://i.imgur.com/ehpYH5j.png

I can have a look at this remotely, if you wish: rme.to/tv

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel, that'd be great. I'm in Montreal so I guess it'd have to be in my AM when my work permits. I'd try next Tuesday or Wednesday, would one of those work for you?

Ok so I figured this out. Seems I had the Accessibility setting "Play stereo audio as mono" checked. Don't recall checking it, or even ever going to that settings page but there it was, checked. Ugh.

https://i.imgur.com/EOc1BYm.png