1 (edited by jefflinstead 2018-09-12 07:45:02)

Topic: 2018 - Fireface 400 Compatable Laptop Model Recommendations

Hey folks,

I've had the Fireface 400 since 2010 I'd imagine. Have used it successfully on a Desktop with a PCI firewire 1394a card since that time.

Recently, I've moved from home recordings to working all over the place, and am now simply hauling my entire PC around locally...So I've entertained the idea of getting a laptop in order to travel from North America to Europe with, and take my DAV preamp, and Fireface 400 without this damn PC. But it really appears from all initial investigations, that finding a laptop compatible with this thing is like a complete nightmare and almost impossible. Is that true?

Can I simply buy a Laptop model that someone recommends (old and refurbished or new) and have it work without issue? Whether that be with a straight up Firewire port, or with an Expresscard port?

Or do I have to entertain the idea of getting a shittier USB soundcard and a shitty laptop to record film audio abroad? Or worse, get a portable recording device that is wicked expensive. (On that note, I at one point purchased a low end Tascam portable recorder, and would die 5 minutes of using a phantom powered mic...so I'm not too keen on low end portable recorders.) I just want to maintain the sound quality I started a filming a project with my Fireface, but now need to transport that quality overseas...and it looks like it may be an expensive endeavor.

Any advice appreciated.

Re: 2018 - Fireface 400 Compatable Laptop Model Recommendations

I would look for a laptop as turnkey system for audio, either tested with your FF400.

Better would be to move to UC or UCX then you have more options to connect it to other systems if required via USB.

UCX has newer and quicker converters, Autoset and supports USB and Firewire.

If form factor is no issue and budget allows then I would recommend to take the UFX II as the older flagship interface UFX got a major overhaul.

If you are out for best AD/DA conversion quality you can easily add an ADI-2 Pro FS to it in combination with ie excellent planar phones, this could be combined with any RME interface with digital connections  (AES, ADAT, SPDIF).

So also a combination of UC or UCX and ADI-2 Pro would be very good and have a small formfactor.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the reply ramses. I'm going to explore older laptop models first that have IEEE 1394 compatibility and Texas Instruments chipsets (as I feel like this will be cheaper solution to do high end 2 to 6 track projects, even though the computer specs will be limited and dated). If this avenue fails, I'll look onto an upgrade to UC or UCX - But I'd still have to purchase a laptop at any rate.

ramses wrote:

UCX has newer and quicker converters.

UCX, UC, and FF400 all use pretty much the same type of codec (combined ADDA chip). For shorter conversion latency, look at the UFX and subsequent models.

As for choice of laptop, I would indeed consider an older model with Firewire or Expresscard connectivity for now. If you are mostly recording (as opposed to using lots of virtual instruments), such a laptop will probably work fine with a UFX or other device as well, should you wish to upgrade later. Or you could add a preamp like the Octamic XTC for more channels...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME