Topic: Fully compatible motherboard for RME Babyface Pro

Hello everyone
I'm planing to built a new computer based on Coffee Lake i7 8700/8700k
I chose Asrock z370 pro 4/ Extreme 4, but i want to be sure everything will works great with my Babyface Pro without any dropouts and cracks.
I am wondering if anyone has experience with this motherboards?
Also would be great to post some your 100% fully worked setups here.
Regards

Re: Fully compatible motherboard for RME Babyface Pro

tasty_mushroom wrote:

Hello everyone
I'm planing to built a new computer based on Coffee Lake i7 8700/8700k
I chose Asrock z370 pro 4/ Extreme 4, but i want to be sure everything will works great with my Babyface Pro without any dropouts and cracks.
I am wondering if anyone has experience with this motherboards?
Also would be great to post some your 100% fully worked setups here.
Regards

Best and safest is to get a turnkey system which is already optimized for audio ie from Xi machines. Meanwhile they offer also more inexpensive  (non ECC) systems.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Best and safest is to get a turnkey system which is already optimized for audio ie from Xi machines. Meanwhile they offer also more inexpensive  (non ECC) systems.

1) there is no option to buy Xi computers in russia
2) i'm looking for already tested motherboard thats works good with i7 8700k and rme babyface pro

There is no special criterion for "compatibility" with the Babyface, as far as mainboards are concerned and we do not specifically test mainboards. The device uses USB 2 and is usually not picky about the board as such, if USB works well. Get a current branded board (Asus, Gigabyte, whatever) and you will likely not face a lot of problems.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by tasty_mushroom 2018-09-21 12:13:52)

RME Support wrote:

There is no special criterion for "compatibility" with the Babyface, as far as mainboards are concerned and we do not specifically test mainboards. The device uses USB 2 and is usually not picky about the board as such, if USB works well. Get a current branded board (Asus, Gigabyte, whatever) and you will likely not face a lot of problems.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

thanks for the answer!
what can u say about Asrock brand?
especially z370 Pro 4 / Extreme 4 board

it have a lot of good reviews (non audio depended), overclocking possibilities and costs not too much as overpriced gaming boards from Asus and Gigabyte

With the Extreme make sure to use one of the Intel rear I/O ports. With the Pro you may have to use one of the onboard connectors (not rear IO), because the rear IO may be completely done via Asmedia USB 3.0 hubs. The Asmedia hubs should work for USB 2 device, but they cause issues with USB 3.0 and generally are not too trustworthy (Asmedia USB 3.1 is ok again).

7 (edited by JRT 2018-09-21 18:27:38)

Recent reports indicate (what holds true remains to be seen) that the new i9 9900K CPU and Z390 motherboard chipset are due to be released to market within a  few weeks. The i9 9900K will provide increased performance relative to i7 8700K, and the Z390 chipset will include native support for up to six USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports.  Add to the consideration that prices often dip in the last couple of weeks in November.  I suspect that parts acquired then for an i9 9900K on Z390 motherboard will be only a couple of hundred USD more than an otherwise similar i7 8700K on Z370 acquired today.  That is what I am going to wait to see before buying CPU and motherboard for a new computer.