Topic: wish list brainstorming

Hi,

I did not find a similar topic for the ADI-2 DAC even not using search.
So here is the wish list brainstorming for the ADI-2 DAC.

I am wondering if it would be possible to save settings not only for the different outputs "phone" , "IEM",... on but also affiliated the stored settings to impedances connected to the outputs.
I would bet that the ADI-2 DAC is able to measure the impedance that is currently connected.

I own several different headphones and most of them have different impedances. So it would be great to let the ADI-2 DAC sort the best matching settings to the connected device.
With the given menu all best matching stored settings could be sorted to top.

Thus if I plug in my Sennheiser HD660S or the HD58X, both have 150 ohms impedance, I will see
1. HD58X
2. HD660S
and I could select more comfortable the setting.

If there is a unique match only a knob press on the volume button could used as confirmation to use the shown setting.

Just brainstorming...
...couldd be an awesome function.

Plugging in any headphone I like and you get the correct setting.

Of course theere has to be a new menu entry to manage this behaviour a little bit.
e.g. re-detecting of impedance etc...

Re: wish list brainstorming

The impedance based level meter function mentioned in the manual requires overload condition to start working and is too coarse for such a sophisticated feature as described here. But nice idea, maybe in a later unit some day...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh... that's a pitty.

But let's think about this... brainstorming again.

So as possible alternative... am I right that the ADI-2 DAC is able to measure the current while output a defined signal?
Maybe a very low signal with high level energy... lets say 10 Hz that is not listenable?
Would also be like a fingerprint related to the headdphones. Even if the do not play 10 Hz the will have a measureable current. wink

Would be nice to be able to upload filters/convolution files for room correction etc.

5 (edited by daiyama 2018-08-29 13:10:25)

I would like to repeat my previously asked question here.

Would it be a possibility to have a display of all EQ settings (PEQ + volume dependend loudness setting + bass/treble settings + filter settings) in a forth main screen? and an option to toggle between "all on / all off"? (similar to a "source direct button as know from Hifi preamps) so that someone could have a direct comparison of a complete untreated signal and all signal influencing parameters.
If the screen is not possible could be a "source direct" option be implemented?

Thanks.

It would be great to have a screen which shows all applied equalization settings!

I would also love for:

(1) the equalizer gain to have finer grained steps than 0.5dB, preferably 0.1dB;
(2) a larger Q range in every band (0.1 to 10.0 perhaps);
(3) finer grained steps for frequency adjustment after 2kHz — right now, the 1kHz range allows steps in 0.01kHz increments, and after 2kHz it drops to 0.1kHz increments; it should stick to 0.01kHz increments throughout;
(4) a larger range of adjustments for the bass+treble bands — right now, they severely restrict frequency and Q values (I don't mind the gain restriction as much); and
(5) more parametric bands.

• EQ cursor: Cursor mode for EQ to precisely analyze the attenuation/boost at a certain frequency

• Band shelf filter: Band shelf filter for band 2, 3 and 4 of the PEQ. Band shelves can be very useful if you need a more wideband, but constant correction than the regular bell filter.

Doco wrote:
  • Band shelf filter: Band shelf filter for band 2, 3 and 4 of the PEQ. Band shelves can be very useful if you need a more wideband, but constant correction than the regular bell filter.

What is the difference then to using band 1 and setting its frequency to any value up to 20 kHz?

If you want to add a flat top part within the EQ correction then you need to use both a low and hi cut, and already block 2 filters of the available five. That is not worth it. IMHO such complicated curves should be generated externally in software, where it is much easier to produce and verify them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

daiyama wrote:

Would it be a possibility to have a display of all EQ settings (PEQ + volume dependend loudness setting + bass/treble settings + filter settings) in a forth main screen?.

Sorry, not possible for various reasons.

daiyama wrote:

and an option to toggle between "all on / all off"? (similar to a "source direct button as know from Hifi preamps) so that someone could have a direct comparison of a complete untreated signal and all signal influencing parameters.

Manual chapter 14.1.1, Remap Keys
OFF, ON. Default: OFF. Allows to assign 26 different functions/actions to the four function keys, configurable via the following four entries:
    VOL Key, I/O Key, EQ Key, SETUP Key. Available functions/actions:
...EQ+B/T+Ld 1/2, EQ+B/T+Ld 3/4...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by Doco 2018-09-01 12:10:55)

MC wrote:

What is the difference then to using band 1 and setting its frequency to any value up to 20 kHz?

If you want to add a flat top part within the EQ correction then you need to use both a low and hi cut, and already block 2 filters of the available five. That is not worth it. IMHO such complicated curves should be generated externally in software, where it is much easier to produce and verify them.

The band shelf filter type combines a high and low shelf around a central frequency. Around the central frequency, you have a very constant attenuation, the width of that area is set by Q. It is useful for wider mid range corrections than you could do with a bell filter. Here is a picture of what I mean: https://www.siraudiotools.com/StandardE … hp#Filters

On the ADI-2, you can get a similar effect using band 1 and 5 with a low and high shelf, but obviously it would be nicer to only require one EQ band for such a filter.

There is no DSP power left for such a function as additional feature. It would cost you two filters of the five filters at least, plus new parameters and handling, which also cost DSP time and resources. Which we simply not have in hardware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Might USB-HID volume control in OSX be added in the future, or is it technically not possible?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26341

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

MC wrote:
daiyama wrote:

Would it be a possibility to have a display of all EQ settings (PEQ + volume dependend loudness setting + bass/treble settings + filter settings) in a forth main screen?.

Sorry, not possible for various reasons.

daiyama wrote:

and an option to toggle between "all on / all off"? (similar to a "source direct button as know from Hifi preamps) so that someone could have a direct comparison of a complete untreated signal and all signal influencing parameters.

Manual chapter 14.1.1, Remap Keys
OFF, ON. Default: OFF. Allows to assign 26 different functions/actions to the four function keys, configurable via the following four entries:
    VOL Key, I/O Key, EQ Key, SETUP Key. Available functions/actions:
...EQ+B/T+Ld 1/2, EQ+B/T+Ld 3/4...

Thanks for the Feedback.
It is a pitty that the extra screen is technically not possible and thank you for the tip with the remapping of keys. I have overlooked this option.
For me it would be the more useful default value for key 1 and than could be advertised as a "source direct button", which is probably of more value for homeusers than "mono".

14 (edited by sebabe 2018-09-23 17:12:05)

My biggest wish would be to be able to configure and control the card via PC or Mac. I do not like to work with the on screen display ..  And then of course a remote to control the ADI2 via smartphone (with computer connection).

sebabe wrote:

My biggest wish would be to be able to configure and control the card via PC or Mac. I do not like to work with the on screen display ..  And then of course a remote to control the ADI2 via smartphone (with computer connection).

+1 I would love to see this. Though I'm pretty sure they said it wouldn't happen.

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

16 (edited by integra 2018-09-27 04:10:58)

Hi all.
I use phones 3/4 out for the line out purpose.
Possible to add menu point to run this out by standart level for unbalansed outs 0 dBu/0.775v rms with 0dBFS and switch off all others menu points for this out in this case? Maybe not one standart level 0.775V is enouth.
0.31(Tascam consumer level), 0.5V, 1V(Nakamichi) this levels from analog audio world is will to be add in menu to.
Activatte line out profile for this out by one click inside outs 3/4 menu will be good.
For my opinion this is usable for customers who use ADI-2 Pro to do analog records from digital source like me.
Second for peoples who connect ADI to consumer amplifiers whith unbalansed inputs only and read carefully in user manual input sensitivity and overload terms for their audio equipment.

Suggestion for the manual, not the device itself:
Include a graph showing the effect of the bass and treble control at their default frequency and Q. Say +/- 2, 4 and 6 dB correction.

Room correction & Headphone calibration based on most common headphone frequency response would be fantastic.

Like "Izone" plugin  from "Tone booster" or "Reference 4" from Sonarworks.

I mean, such a feature by a trustfull Brand like RME in the mastering world is the "Holly Grale".... THE neutral listening environment anywhere…..

When you did it, send one to me please so I can try it. I Will then send you my ADI 2 Pro back in Exchange...

Have a good day.

Doco wrote:

Suggestion for the manual, not the device itself:
Include a graph showing the effect of the bass and treble control at their default frequency and Q. Say +/- 2, 4 and 6 dB correction.

Not in the manual, but available here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 10#p135210

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What i would really like is the ability to skip tracks via the program keys on the remote.
I dont know anything about programming but i imagine that it would be possible to implement this via a software update?

That would be really great!!

integra wrote:

Hi all.
I use phones 3/4 out for the line out purpose.
Possible to add menu point to run this out by standart level for unbalansed outs 0 dBu/0.775v rms with 0dBFS and switch off all others menu points for this out in this case? Maybe not one standart level 0.775V is enouth.
0.31(Tascam consumer level), 0.5V, 1V(Nakamichi) this levels from analog audio world is will to be add in menu to.
Activatte line out profile for this out by one click inside outs 3/4 menu will be good.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27924

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In AutoDark mode with the lights off, when a headphone is connected or disconnected, the lights stay off.

Could the lights be turned on when a headphone is connected/disconnected in the same way pressing a button does?

EQ Invert on/off parameter option to be saved within the EQ section.

Probably for the pros who what to neutralise their headphone frequency response.

Trying to work backwards from a graph of my headphone/s frequency response is very tricky.

I would like to just copy the response graph with the EQ and then just press invert within the/a save parameter.

Hope this makes sense.

Kind regards

Rodney

Rme Ucx + Rme Adi-2 Dac Fs