Topic: Fireface 400 and Thunderbolt macbook pro

Hello RME!,

I've taken a couple years off from making music and I finally have the time and the space to record again. It's a great feeling!

Having a major problem with my Fireface400. I have a 2016 15" MacBook Pro which obviously no longer has firewire ports and only has USB-C or Thunderbolt.

After much looking online I've managed to out the required cables together: Firewire 400>800>thunderbolt 2 (made by apple)>thunderbolt 3(made by apple).

I connected it all together and It can't find the host! I've checked in system preferences and it's not listed as either an input or output device. However if I plug it into a hub it says "Cannot use thunderbolt accessory, please connect to a thunderbolt port" which I guess means the MacBook and see something is going on.

Lastly I can't open the Fireface settings app, I've reinstalled the drivers several times and hoped that would do it, but to no avail.

I know the 400 is "Old" by today's standards but I really loved using it and I hoped I would be able to find a solution rather than selling it.

Sorry for the long introductory post and if anyone has any ideas on what to do please let me know!

Thanks!

Alex

Re: Fireface 400 and Thunderbolt macbook pro

The FF400 needs external power supply here...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

The FF400 needs external power supply here...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

I forgot to mention in the original post that I am powering it externally. Is there any other things it could be?

Is that High Sierra on that MacBook?

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26441

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello rme
I am using fireface 400 whit my my macbook pro 2012 for a Long time & i am very happy with it.
I'm considering to purchase a new MacBook Pro 2018 and I would like to know if my fire face 400 can be connect to this new computer?