Topic: Fireface 800 Audio extremely unstable and unreliable..

Whenever I open up my Daw it's a crap shoot whether or not I'll have audio it comes and goes. I can constantly hit reset until it comes back and sometimes it does or I have to completely close out the daw and restart my computer and sometimes that will work. I'm using Cakewalk by Van Labs BTW... I have signal in my audio meters within my Daw just no sound. I've tried several different bit settings and they are work only occasionally.

2 (edited by ramses 2018-10-11 09:21:42)

Re: Fireface 800 Audio extremely unstable and unreliable..

You need to find out whether this is an application problem or not.

I proposed this already ~2 month ago in this thread, but there was no response from your side:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 69#p133469

Installing Reaper DAW Demo version for testing purposes is a matter of a few minutes
and testing is also not a big thing. https://www.reaper.fm/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Dark Star Balla 2018-10-11 10:30:13)

I installed reaper.and tried it. No audio signal. I truly believe it's an issue with my system and the RME/ASIO drivers.

4 (edited by ramses 2018-10-11 16:27:25)

Dark Star Balla wrote:

I installed reaper.and tried it. No audio signal. I truly believe it's an issue with my system and the RME/ASIO drivers.

At least no crash ! Are you sure that you configured DAW and routing correctly ?

In terms of routing. You use 2 FF800. Do you work with 2 TM FX instances ? Or is one being used standalone with a prepared routing?

Can you eventually narrow down if it works with each of the cards used in single card setup ?

Perhaps there is an issue with one of the cards ?

EDIT:
Since when do you have these issues ?
Did the issues start after the last Win10 upgrade ~1 week ago ?
Which version of Win10 do you have now ? 1709, 1803 or 1809 ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Dark Star Balla 2018-10-12 00:40:44)

ramses wrote:
Dark Star Balla wrote:

At least no crash ! Are you sure that you configured DAW and routing correctly ?

No crash and I'm fairly sure I have the routing configured correctly

In terms of routing. You use 2 FF800. Do you work with 2 TM FX instances ? Or is one being used standalone with a prepared routing?

Yes 2 FF800's and each has it's own totalmix (selected via a tab). They both show all I/O's

Can you eventually narrow down if it works with each of the cards used in single card setup ?

I tried turning off one at a time to see I get a different result. Same issue either way. If I hit audio reset enough times sometime the the audio comes back. Other times I have to completely reboot to get it to work. But more often than the audio is unstable drop outs and such

Perhaps there is an issue with one of the cards ?

I am 99% sure it's something with my system. I have consoles running into both card and there's audio in I run microphones and guitars into to each FF800 and get sound perfectly. Just not into or thru my pc (not even internal sounds come thru the ASIO drivers. I'd been using the mb audio card but disabled it to see if it helped with my issues.

EDIT:
Since when do you have these issues ?

Since upgrading to windows 10 and cakewalk by bandlabs. Actually be upgrading to bandlab I was using Sonar X3 and Ableton (briefly) and y audio seemed fine.

Did the issues start after the last Win10 upgrade ~1 week ago ?
Which version of Win10 do you have now ? 1709, 1803 or 1809 ?

1709 my last 2 update attempts failed.

6 (edited by Dark Star Balla 2018-10-12 06:07:52)

So I switched over to wdm and my audio is playing as far as YouTube, MP3s apps like Spotify and Tidal are playing fine but in MY DAW cakewalk still having the same issues I'll try reaper now that I am in Windows driver mode and see how that works and if Reaper works and I'll know the issue is with Cakewalk...

Same issue in Reaper. I had audio when I first opened cakewalk then it dropped. Some more screen shots.

Audio signal just no sound..
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43828231_10218085539996409_4497237037048397824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=5b5738820919b136ed099f61bf64cd52&oe=5C436189

Reaper routing...
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/44023908_10218085538916382_1398124589149585408_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=031c8e53abc08d2784e1c22cbafc37dc&oe=5C4753B1

7 (edited by ramses 2018-10-12 06:13:05)

> not even internal sounds come thru the ASIO drivers

Internal sound can not use ASIO drivers, it needs WDM drivers, thats the reason why you need to configure a speaker in the RME device driver configuration.

> 1709 my last 2 update attempts failed

This sounds strange. But 1803 has 1st issues of its own with SSDs and stuff and 1809 also had issues.
Maybe you would be better off to switch back to Win7. Especially also because the Firewire support in Win7 should be better. If I remember right, then I read reports of people that Firewire support in Win10 is not so good anymore.

IDEA to try: an option to try might be to disable routing in TotalMix FX by enabling DAW mode.
Then you need to route audio in your DAW.

> > Since when do you have these issues ?
> Since upgrading to windows 10 and cakewalk by bandlabs. Actually be upgrading to bandlab
> I was using Sonar X3 and Ableton (briefly) and y audio seemed fine.

If I were you I would restore the Win7 backup (I hope you have one).
As you say that under Win7 you had no issues.

If there is really no support from Microsoft for Win7 anymore in the future (maybe they have to extend it again seeing that many people still use Win7) and no security upgrades available anymore, then I would eventually keep the Win7 installation for recording purposes only (disable the ethernet driver) and if you want to browse the internet etc, then use the Win10 parallel installation with up to date patchlevel and anti virus solution.

Thank you Ramses. I will try this Daw mode and see how it works for me. I reverted back to asio drivers so I'm going to see if they work also I got everything working in Ableton Live 10 is just in Reaper and Cakewalk I couldn't get any sound so I'm going to try this. As far as going to Windows 7 no I do not have a copy of Windows 7 I had the last one I had was Windows 8 and I could revert back to that there are some features in 10 that I like I could probably use both of them and you one when I want to record and the other when I just want to mess around online or need to work online. But I'll decide after I see if this new setup is going to work for me.

Daw Mode work for me it's actually what I should have been using however it does not change the issues that I'm having as far as my dropouts. I still have system audio but in my Daw my sound is still dropping out and I'm having a hard time getting it back except in Ableton Live