1 (edited by theymer 2018-10-16 13:36:16)

Topic: Clocking question (Adi-2 Pro, Raydat, Aurora)

Hello,

My setup:
1x Adi 2-Pro (Main Inputs, Main Outputs)
1x Raydat
1x Lynx Aurora 8 (Additional Ins/Outs)

I'm currently clocking from the ADI as I guess it has the best clock of the three. It goes to the RayDat via AES and is then sent to the Aurora via ADAT. This setup doesn't work very stable at the moment (Aurora sometimes doesn't work, even after it has been locked) so I think a Wordclock expansion (WCM) for the RayDat would help to stabilize the Aurora.
Anybody with experiences regarding that?

Or is it a mistake to distribute the clock serially? I could make the Raydat the main clock and distribute in star form.
But it should not make a big difference in a 'small' setup like mine? Am I right with that?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Clocking question (Adi-2 Pro, Raydat, Aurora)

You should talk to Lynx... There's no reason why the unit shouldn't work just fine with ADAT as sync source. Word Clock won't likely solve this.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Is that really a one way connection to the Lynx? You might try the latest RayDAT firmware update which improved ADAT clocking compatibility.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by theymer 2018-10-17 12:49:11)

Thanks for your answers.

I have the latest firmware already.

And yes, it is a one way connection. (At least it seems like that to me)
ADI 2 Pro (Internal Clock) -> AES -> RayDat (Ext Clock) -> ADAT -> AURORA 8 + LT-ADAT (Ext Clock)

Many times the system works just fine but the Aurora looses the 'connection' once in a while and needs to be 'brought back' by switching through sample rates. I did a firmware update for the Lynx yesterday and maybe that helped.

By the way: Lynx Support told me:
'ADAT is horrible for clock because there is so much jitter. Please try Word Clock and let us know what happens...'

Before I purchase the WC expansion for the Raydat I'll wait a bit and see if the fw update solved it.

Well, ADAT is not horrible for clock and works easily and perfectly with all RME devices. The issue solved with the latest RayDAT firmware was a special clock loop case with Yamaha desks and multiple ADAT I/Os. But in your one-way setup even the old firmware works perfectly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by vinark 2018-10-17 13:13:44)

Why not try the Lynx as master? Steadyclock in the raydat and ADI will remove any jitter. Lynx admits that its external clocking is not optimal, so you probably get a little improvement on the Lynx as a bonus.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Sorry to ask, but can I totally rely on that? Steadyclock makes any super boutique clocking devices obsolete? You can just use any external or internal clock and the result will be the same?

8 (edited by ramses 2018-10-22 11:27:02)

In your setup with the ADI-2 Pro being used for phones and monitors you do not need to worry about D/A conversion quality.

The ADI-2 Pro removes any jitter from the incoming digital signal and finally uses its own built-in clock to perform the final D/A conversion towards phones and speakers.

And this has such high quality, that you really do not worry about it. I used ADI-2 Pro and now ADI-2 DAC in front of a High-end HiFi and I have to say that the RME device is even a little bit better than the Accuphase DAC-40 DAC module of an Accuphase E-600 Class A amp with B&W 803 D3 speakers.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

9 (edited by theymer 2018-10-22 11:43:02)

ramses wrote:

In your setup with the ADI-2 Pro being used for phones and monitors you do not need to worry about D/A conversion quality.

Ok, but I also use the ADI-2 Pro for A/D. It's my main recording converter. That's why I'm skeptical about clocking it externally.

theymer wrote:
ramses wrote:

Ok, but I also use the ADI-2 Pro for A/D. It's my main recording converter. That's why I'm skeptical about clocking it externally.

Sorry, I can't remember whether the other direction (A/D) has been discussed already on forum in terms of clocking.

Personally I would simply guess, that its also decoupled like for D/A, but tbh, I don't know exactly.

This is something that only RME can answer to you.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

AD and DA are not independent, but with Steadyclock, AD will also not be negatively affected by an external clock. There is nothing to worry about.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME