1 (edited by Tobias T 2018-09-03 12:23:16)

Topic: MADI Channels not visible in DAW and GlobalRcord

Hello,

I am using RME Micstasy and Octamic XTC as "stageboxes". They are connected over MADI to my RME Fireface UFX+ (this gives excellent setup time on the venues). I want to record the MADI channels in Cubase 7.5 or Studio One 4 DAW or with RME's GLobalRecord via USB2/3 on a WIN 10 Laptop.
But neither Cubase 7.5 nor Studio One 4 sees the MADI channels, just "RME" and "ADAT" channels. So currently I can only record via DuRec (USB-Stick or Disc/SSD at the Fireface) in RME's Totalmix FX.

My questions here:
==> (How) can I see and record the MADI channels in a DAW via USB?
==> If not, what would be the good interface to record those MADI channels from my RME "stageboxes" with a DAW or GlobalRecord on the WIN 10 Computer?

PS: I am reading in certain forums that for ProTools there might a limitation in number of channels available over USB, but I am not aware of such a limit for Cubase or Studio One...

Thx
Tobias

Re: MADI Channels not visible in DAW and GlobalRcord

You will only see the MADI channels with the unit connected to USB 3.0 (make sure to set the device to Auto or USB 3 manually).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thx RME support for the answer.
But not successful: RME TotalMix does not work / stops working immediately when I switch the Fireface UFX+ to USB 3.0 manually.
So maybe the Laptop Lenovo T460 with Windows 10 is on USB 2.0 (which is not likely according to the Laptop's user manual) or are there other reasons?
On occasion I will also try the Fireface UFX+ with an Apple iMac, but need a solution before next recording session this Friday.

KR
Tobias

What's the driver and firmware version installed here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

And did you check the Settings dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Tobias T 2018-10-18 09:32:17)

I have updated now to the most recent driver and firmware, but no change - TotalMix does not work in the "USB 3" interface mode, just in USB 2 or automatic mode, and Digicheck does not give the MADI channels:

Driver RME MADIface (06/21/2018 0.9.673.0)
Firmware Fireface UFX+ Thunderbold 102, USB 50, DSP 42
TotalMix 1.50 (3)
DIGICheck 5.92

The Fireface USB Settings Dialog looks fine to me (operating 88.2 kHz) - what could be a critical parameter here?

Thx
Tobias

Check with another computer's USB 3.0 connection or contact Lenovo.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Working in double speed will reduce all MADI channels to 32. The Settings dialog together with the color of the LED clearly tells you about the UFX being in USB2 or 3 operation. Maybe you want to upload a screenshot...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Tobias T 2018-10-22 17:54:08)

I use an USB 3 cable now instead of an USB 2 cable. 32 MADI Channel are visible now in GlobalRecord; I suppose they will be visible in the DAW now as well. So some basic Computer Knowledge helps...
Spot on!