Topic: Wish list

So far I could not find a wish list which is related to the ADI-2 Pro DAC's. With this  post our prayers will hopefully be heard by RME smile

Re: Wish list

I wish that the ADI-2 Pro could be capable of a preset store/load function. It bothers me a bit whenever I change my setup to invest quite some time, changing each channel settings, EQ settings, samplerate settings and so on and so on… It's rather boring and time consuming to scroll through the entire setup and change things according to the situational needs.
An example: When I would like to connect a balanced headphone I have to change several things in the menu, EQ settings, samplerates etc.  But in case of a recording session, the situation changes as well, and as you can imagine, the setup is completely different again. It would be more productive to store and load these situations in an instant.

Please, could RME implement load and save functions for presets with a new firmware update?

3 (edited by ramses 2018-10-14 17:21:34)

> I wish that the ADI-2 Pro could be capable of a preset store/load function.

You can store and load up to 9 presets with all ADI-2 * since the beginning when the devices had been released.
See also handbook chapter
- 5.2 overview menue structure
- 14.2 Load/Store all settings

> It bothers me a bit whenever I change my setup to invest quite some time, changing each channel settings,
> EQ settings, samplerate settings and so on and so on… It's rather boring and time consuming to scroll through
> the entire setup and change things according to the situational needs

I propose this workflow:
1. Save the current setting to preset 1 first, not too loose it.
2. Then save it to another preset of your choice and adjust there only the little changes for new situational needs.

> An example: When I would like to connect a balanced headphone I have to change several things in the menu,
>  EQ settings, samplerates etc.  But in case of a recording session, the situation changes as well, and as you can
> imagine, the setup is completely different again. It would be more productive to store and load these situations
> in an instant.

For this the ADI-2 * family provides you with 9 preset slots.

A) I would start with a preset which contains the basic settings that are valid for most or all of your other setups.
To put only a few examples:
- Bass/Treble on or off
- Dynamic Loudness on or off
- Customized Dynamice Loudness settings
- EDIT1: The very useful remap key function
- etc etc
Save this to i.e. preset 9 as a kind of template for all other presets.

B) Save this template now to preset 1, 2, 3 ...
Then recall/edit/save preset 1, 2, 3 and customize it to your situational demands.

By this you only have to work on the much smaller "deltas" of settings, as your base settings are already configured.
Choose a significant name for each setup when storing a preset, so that you can identify/find them easier.

One additional note in regards to EQ settings: You do not have to change them in each of your setups!
The up to 22 EQ settings are stored in a separate area (see also handbook chapter 13).
This work needs to be done only one time !
Its then simply a library of up to 22 EQ settings which you can access and sweep through from all of your up to 9 customizeable device settings of the ADI-2 *.

This workflow should be exactly that, what you are looking for and saves you a lot of time.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I did not ask but as usual, a great summary of presets/eq workflows. Thank you very much.

5 (edited by ramses 2018-10-14 16:58:07)

Many thanks, very kind from you Bernhard.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Wish List... Hard to find: I'm absolutely fan of my little black box! It fits perfectly my needs (DAC and ADI for my home).
I'm not a pro, I'm a consumer, and I really have a hi-fi usage of my RME ADI-2 DAC.

The only function I miss would be a dynamic range control filter; it would be very useful for late listening or to manage the sound of movies (voices too low and action scenes too high in stereo).

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

The sound of movies (including such a volume control) is processed in the apps that play those movies, they usually have a midnight mode etc.

The ADI-2s don't have resources left to perform compressor style functions.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The sound of movies (including such a volume control) is processed in the apps that play those movies, they usually have a midnight mode etc.

The ADI-2s don't have resources left to perform compressor style functions.

My only wish would be if at least three filters out of 5 had possibility to set Q to 15. I believe there should be a possibility to make this possible within DSP limits of ADI-2 Pro. Q=5 simply isn't enough precision for a notch within 100-200Hz and it would really help me greatly as now I have to resort to additional EQ to make this which makes it really impractical. I really love EQ within ADI-2 Pro, but please please make it possible for at least a few filter to have Q up to 15.

Best, Tine

9 (edited by dir 2018-10-15 20:59:59)

I'd like to see option of upconvert all PCM streams to DSD before DAC section on any digital inputs.
as TEAC UD-505 or PS Audio DirectStream was made

ramses, thank you for your guide. I'll check it out as soon as I get back to work.

11 (edited by sinarca 2018-10-20 17:49:42)

Why not to add a modern Bluetooth (LDAC code) receiver ?

I miss the freedom to select a desired output in my DAW. Something like a multichannel mode for ASIO.

A 1/2
A 3/4
AES Out
SPDIF Out
and so on.

With my proposal, problems from previous posts, e.g. compression and EQing, could be resolved by implementing them directly into the DAW.

Is that the next embarrassing oversight on your side (Options - Device Mode - CC-Mode - Multi-channel)? Or do you have to better explain what you want?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by ramses 2018-10-20 08:25:13)

AudioSource wrote:

I miss the freedom to select a desired output in my DAW. Something like a multichannel mode for ASIO.

A 1/2
A 3/4
AES Out
SPDIF Out
and so on.

With my proposal, problems from previous posts, e.g. compression and EQing, could be resolved by implementing them directly into the DAW.

In regards to the last sentence, sorry but I do not understand the rationale behind it.

Many people use the ADI-2 Pro/DAC simlpy as DAC / phone preamp, which is kind of "stand-alone mode" without PC / DAW.
I think the main purpose of the PEQ is simply to have it built-in into the device itself to fine tune the sound of your phones to your actual demands or to compensate certain hearing issues etc (see also handbook in regards to different use cases).

If you have the ADI-2 Pro / DAC directly connected to a PC and work with a DAW, then I would assume that you work with the different VSTs (EQ, compressors) that the DAW or 3rd party VSTs offer. There you also have more Bands, higher Q-Factors, etc. On the PC side it is possible without any issues because you have much more scalable CPU resources. Some high-end CPUs (or dual CPU setups) are alone even more expensive than ADI-2 Pro/DAC.

As there are so many EQs available for DAWs, I wonder why you see a demand to implement the PEQ into the DAW. Its optimized for being used inside of the DAC.

Or could you kindly explain what you mean exactly ? Thanks.

Please excuse me not to explain my point of view very well.

I wish for the community the freedom to select between following outputs within the DAW: 1/2, 3/4, AES, SPDIF. Then one could insert whatever plugin is necassary to do the job: phase linear EQ's, convolutional plugins, delays, compression, whatever the heart desires - Let the CPU be the limit.

Why will the users benefit from the approach?
1) many users here love to make music. They absolutely will benefit from an individually approach. To name a few: individual monitoring in recording sessions, room correction for mixing and mastering in critical listeing situations, channel delay for a LFE in combination with speakers or headphones.
2) even for music listeners there are ways to route music from a audioplayer to a DAW (SAR - Synchronous Audio Router) to insert any plugin you want.

Will it be technically possible?
1) with these routing operations, the DSPs should not get distracted. It primary depends on RME and the tradeoff.
2) USB 2.0 offers enough bandwith to handle samplerates up to 768 kHz in 32 Bit on 8+ channels simultanously.
3) driver and the firmware must be rewritten.

Now I really appreciate the new approach for RME users. I'm referring to this thread https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27322, where people will getting their CPU's pushed by inserting any ideas in a DAW, as soon as RME descides to let the new feature happen.

Thank you!

16 (edited by ramses 2018-10-21 11:26:12)

AudioSource wrote:

Please excuse me not to explain my point of view very well.

I wish for the community the freedom to select between following outputs within the DAW: 1/2, 3/4, AES, SPDIF. Then one could insert whatever plugin is necassary to do the job: phase linear EQ's, convolutional plugins, delays, compression, whatever the heart desires - Let the CPU be the limit.

You overlooked MC's post #13.
Its possible just right now.
All that you need to do is to unplug the device from USB and switch to multi-channel mode.
See also Handbook chapter 17.4.

17 (edited by AudioSource 2018-10-21 11:53:59)

Holy grail, my prayers where never heard that fast! I swear, you guys do a fantastic job!

Thank you ramses!

Sometimes you should also try it with a little bit of reading lol wink