1 (edited by sindri1980 2016-12-16 18:05:19)

Topic: RME Adi-2 Pro - Balanced headphones issue

Hello everyone!

I am having some issues when using a pair of Audeze LCD-2 headphones in balanced mode.
I can only play music at very low volume levels, otherwise I receive the following message: "overload/short detected". I have tried both low and high power modes, but as soon as I increase the volume, this message pops up and one side of the headphones stops playing.
The support team suggested that it might be due to a wiring issue with the adapter. However, the music plays just fine at the beginning, but after a while or if I increase the volume above -25db, the warning message pops up and disconnects one output and, after a few seconds, the other one.
The lower the volume, the longer it plays without crashing, but it crashes eventually after a while.
If there was a wiring issue in the adapter, I assume that the error message would show up right away or after a few seconds.

Has anyone used balanced headphones successfully with the Adi-2 Pro?

Regards,
Raúl

Re: RME Adi-2 Pro - Balanced headphones issue

You will have to check your adapter thoroughly. The problem you describe happens if both - or + pins are shorted, effectively giving a three pin connection to the balanced output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello Matthias,

Thanks for the reply!
What I don't understand is why the balanced mode works just fine as long as the volume remains low, but as soon as I increase it, the overload/short message pops up.
If the wiring in the adapter were the issue, shouldn't the dac trigger the message directly even with a low volume?

Regards,
Raúl

4 (edited by Michelle242 2018-10-24 00:44:50)

Hallo, I have the same problem and it would be nice if the original poster gets an answer to his second question.

Also there is another thing I don't understand. The overload/short does not occur at any volume when only the adapter is plugged and not the headphones.

Quite disappointing to buy such an expensive product and get no answer here. I will try to talk to the support.

Well, the answer given still was: It's the adapter's fault.

So before going through a whole ordeal of back and forth I would first try another adapter (different product).

8 (edited by Michelle242 2018-10-30 10:41:54)

Timur Born wrote:

So before going through a whole ordeal of back and forth I would first try another adapter (different product).

As I already stated it can't be the adapter because the problem does not occur if only the adapter is connected and no headphones.

Michelle242 wrote:
Timur Born wrote:

As I already stated it can't be the adapter because the problem does not occur if only the adapter is connected and no headphones.

Imagine that a current flowing from one channel to another through the headphone will trigger the short protection circuit. Adapter only - no current...

Apart from that - if you think your ADI is defective then send it in for checking. No need to come up with accusations that have zero ground.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm not going to send my Adi Pro in just to hear that it works correctly and again it must be my adapter's fault.
By the way, here is a link to my adapter:
https://mhw-audio.de/rme-adi-2-pro-adap … hoerer-493
I don't think it's defective.

Use your headphone unbalanced on output Ph 1/2. Does that work?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Deleted my unpolite post now. At the moment I am unable to reproduce the error again strangely. Suddenly the amp section works fine without producing the error. But I will keep this under observation.