Topic: Lost USB connectivity

Greetings all.

My ADI-2 Pro lost USB connectivity in both directions (when linked to a streamer or an audio server, or when attempting to connect to my PC to perform last firmware update). USB cable I was using with great success before problem, tests OK with other USB DACs or PC (I tried a couple of other USB cables, just in case, but same result). "State Overview" does not acknowledge at all the presence of USB cable/connection. Unit works fine with Optical & Coaxial inputs that I also happen to use.

Thanks in advance,

dr.larkos

Re: Lost USB connectivity

Since I never got any suggestion or comment from anyone--in particular RME's affiliated posters--I ended up sending the unit for warranty service, which I was hoping could be avoided. Goes without saying, I am still wondering what could possibly be behind this failure of the USB functionality.

Static electricity or overvoltage. Was a big problem with FireWire, is quite seldom with USB. But it happens, unfortunately.

Can you remember what you did when you lost USB? Connected the ADI to a different USB port? If you have a problematic environment it might make sense to unplug the ADI's power supply and remove all analog connections to other devices before dis- / re-connecting USB.

I work in such a critical environment every day (unearthed, 90V AC floating, sparks when connecting USB to the computer) as a daily stress test, and so far all ESD protection in the ADIs never failed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by dr.larkos 2018-11-06 18:49:56)

Thanks a lot Matthias. Yes, I was connecting unit to a different source USB port (a streamer/renderer). After the initial connection, only one channel was working. So, I did a couple of disconnect/reconnect's to see if I could get both channels but, then, I lost the second channel as well. USB port at streamer/renderer appears to be OK (no subsequent problem connecting to other secondary DAC's that I have around).

For future safety, besides disconnecting power to ADI-2 Pro and remove all analog connections (both, analog inputs & outputs, I assume), once USB cable is connected to the source and the USB DAC (assuming both are off), what turn on sequence protocol do you recommend, source first and USB DAC last, or the reverse? 

Thanks again......................dr.larkos

Turn on sequence then doesn't matter. Is the streamer earthed or two prong? Are the units connected to the ADI earthed?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Answering your questions, Matthias, first, I checked Streamer and I realized that although it has a detachable AC port for conventional three-prong computer type cord (which is what I am actually using), the AC port itself only has two prongs.

Second, anything else I ever connect to the ADI is a true three-prong AC source or external linear DC power supplies with three-prong AC power--excepting for the ADI's, I have replaced any other two-prong wall-wart SMPS's in my system with regulated linear ones with true three-prong AC power.

Thanks.......................dr.larkos