101 (edited by JL 2018-11-08 00:29:05)

Re: What's the verdict on current Macbook Pros + USB RME interfaces?

Just a quick update to this.. I just tried firewire connection and it solved all the problems, no glitches at all in a six hour session with my live setup. With usb i had major sound breakup at least once in 30 minutes.

My setup is macbook pro i9 2018, apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter - apple thunderbolt 2 to firewire adapter - firewire 800 to firewire 400 cable - rme UFX. Project is my live setup in ableton live running 20-30 plugins, 8 fx sends hovering at a bit over 20% cpu according to ableton's meter. My old 2012 macbook handled it with no problems with cpu around 30%.

Only the connection was changed, everything else was unchanged. Nothing disabled in the os, mostly running ableton only, but occasionally checking tracks on VLC player, VNC connection to mixing desk and totalmix was running most of time, wifi for ableton link, but that's about it.

I still hope for working USB one day though, does not feel like too much to ask in 2018.

102 (edited by mjfe87 2018-11-08 11:50:46)

JL wrote:

Just a quick update to this.. I just tried firewire connection and it solved all the problems, no glitches at all in a six hour session with my live setup. With usb i had major sound breakup at least once in 30 minutes.

My setup is macbook pro i9 2018, apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter - apple thunderbolt 2 to firewire adapter - firewire 800 to firewire 400 cable - rme UFX. Project is my live setup in ableton live running 20-30 plugins, 8 fx sends hovering at a bit over 20% cpu according to ableton's meter. My old 2012 macbook handled it with no problems with cpu around 30%.

Only the connection was changed, everything else was unchanged. Nothing disabled in the os, mostly running ableton only, but occasionally checking tracks on VLC player, VNC connection to mixing desk and totalmix was running most of time, wifi for ableton link, but that's about it.

I still hope for working USB one day though, does not feel like too much to ask in 2018.

I wonder if the common factor here is Ableton?  We've run MADIface Pros and XTs with no problem since Apple's latest OSX update to 10.13.6

Or are you on Mojave?  There hasn't been any reports of whether the problem is fixed here or not...

Weirdly, the one interface that's not working flawlessly for us is the ADI-2 Pro FS which glitches every couple of hours or so on playback.

I tried updating to firmware 88 but it's still doing it, so I wonder if Apple have unresolved problems with Class Compliant audio?

It'd be great to hear from RME on these issues smile

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

I don't know about ableton, i'm having problems with reaper too. My guess is ableton could be spiking cpu more than other daws, but that's not based on actual knowledge or understanding how it really works.

When you reported no problems earlier with Madiface XT i thought if it could be because of USB 3 instead of 2, but then again Madiface pro is USB 2... What daw are you using?

Yeah info from RME would be great, now there's this: "3.10 includes some improvements and an updated TotalMix FX 1.52, but does not fix the audio problems on current MacBook Pro 2018 models as reported here in the forum, this needs to be fixed by Apple." Basically it means that apple 2018 and rme usb products are not compatible at this point, but would be fair if it was a bit more clear.

I understand people who may have working systems don't rush to forums just to state their hw works as it should, but would sure be nice to hear if someone actually has a working combination. Like you apparently have with Madiface Pro... I wonder what's different there? Also wondering if thunderbolt connection in UFX+ would be a workaround or is it just a different cable and actually a usb connection?

104 (edited by hydrogen 2018-11-08 18:21:30)

JL wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I got the couple dongles and plugged in the fireface 400 seems to work. Will report back soon.
(It’s a little frustrating to have 1 foot of dongles sticking out the side.)

In the same boat as people in this thread with a Fireface UC / Macbookpro i7 mid 2017. High Sierra car pre-installed. New drivers helped a lot but it’s not RME level good.

The 3.10 driver helped a lot with the UC audio bitcrush/glitched. Now, occasionally I get the skip/blip thing. It’s on par with any VST buffer issues so I’m having trouble knowing where the issue is now.

Is there anything we can do to help? I’m quite surprised to be honest. Switching  to RME 10 years ago was one of the best things I’ve ever done for my audio, Buying a UC for the new macbookpro maybe one of the worst. (For now) I’d be happy to help somehow, offering to drive down to Apple.

JL wrote:

When you reported no problems earlier with Madiface XT i thought if it could be because of USB 3 instead of 2, but then again Madiface pro is USB 2... What daw are you using?

We're using Reaper and genuine Apple USB-C/A adapters...

Eastwood Records

Unfortunately our machine has started glitching again (since I installed a second, unnumbered supplemental update to macOS 10.13.6).

We were recording a concert with 8 channels at 88.2k via a MADIface Pro and the performance meter in Reaper never went above 5% even when it glitched. V frustrating.

Interestingly, Activity Monitor showed c. 22% use of cpu for Reaper but overall cpu use matched Reaper’s measure (5%). Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

In rehearsal I also noticed switching on WiFi made the recording glitch for a moment, whereas our 2010 MacBook Pro never had this problem. I wouldn’t do this during a concert but it does suggest a different prioritising of background processes in each computer.

I will test Mojave ASAP and report back. However, it would be much appreciated to hear from RME on their own tests with 2018 MBP’s. I’m currently lumbered with a very expensive and inadequate recording system.

Eastwood Records