Topic: Future Proofing

Hello, I suppose this post could go in the HDSP forum too...

I don't ever anticipate needing more than a few Inputs in my little home studio; the 2ch ADC's I have been eyeing use TOSLINK. I would, however one day, like to include a 16x2 or 32x2 summing amp.

I would go for the MADI FX if the MADI to TOSLINK bridge supported more than 96kHz. Because I'm interested in 176.4kHz, I think I've decided on the RayDAT.

Since I would like to incorporate a summing amp in the future, would there be any issue adding the MADI FX to another PCIe lane and using the two simultaneously? That way I can keep my TOSLINK ADC's and then use the MADI outs to a BURL Mothership or something.

Is there an issue with RayDAT and MADI FX - specifically the "FX" part, or would it be safer to go with the non-FX version?

Thank you!

Re: Future Proofing

The MADI FX card uses a different driver, so cannot be combined with the RayDAT. If using Windows OS, you can combine the RayDAT with the (non-FX) HDSPe MADI if you like.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

The MADI FX card uses a different driver, so cannot be combined with the RayDAT. If using Windows OS, you can combine the RayDAT with the (non-FX) HDSPe MADI if you like.

Thanks Jeff!

That would be fine by me. I am curious about time code. If I start with the RayDAT and the WCM, then later add the HDSP MADI, could I toss the WCM, or will I need two BNC connections - from the master clock to both PCIe interfaces?

Time Code is not the same as sample clock. The clock can be cascaded with an internal cable connection from card 1 to card 2.

Usually Word Clock is not necessary at all, unless you use some master clock with only Word out. You can just as easily sync the card(s) to any digital input.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Time Code is not the same as sample clock.

Yes, I'm sorry. I'll drop and do 20.

Jeff wrote:

The clock can be cascaded with an internal cable connection from card 1 to card 2.

Can't wait to put it all together. Thanks Jeff!

BTW, I wrote last recently a review of this card and an interesting basic setup including ADI-2 Pro FS integration
and a few maybe interesting screenshots of TM FX (my parallel effect loop routing for a Marshall amp) and my DIGICheck workspace with a collection of DIGIcheck tools enabled, which I personally regard as very useful for most situations.

Here the URL to the review (PDF, EN): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … l-v1-0-pdf

Here the entry point / blog article containing all screenshots / pictures of the review if you only want to scroll through the pictures: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ct-Review/

Enjoy wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13