1 (edited by dmhutch 2018-10-01 02:55:36)

Topic: RME UFX 1 Front Panel Inputs

I searched the forums and was not able to find the answer.  Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'd like to know the difference in signal flow through the RME UFX 1, if I route a TRS cable vs TR cable vs an XLR cable using the front panel inputs. 

I have 3 scenarios:

Scenario 1: I'm using a balanced line level (+4) instrument & trs cable.

Scenario 2: I'm using a balanced line level (+4) instrument & xlr cable.

Scenario 3: I'm using an unbalanced line level (+4) instrument & tr cable.

What is the difference in signal flow inside the UFX for these 3 cases?

Do I bypass the UFX pre-amps or do the front panel inputs always use the UFX pre-amps?

Should I be using the rear panel jacks instead for the above scenarios?

Thanks!

Re: RME UFX 1 Front Panel Inputs

Please consider my question, thanks.

Its explained in the handbook chapter 19.
Also helpful: the block diagram, chapter 39.1 and technical information about the analog section in chapter 37.1.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I referred to the handbook and I'm still confused since I'm not an engineer or technical person.

In simple terms, this is my question: for a line level +4, balanced signal, is the front panel A/D conversion any different or better / worse than the rear panel ones?

Thank you for your time,

The TRS input within the XLR is unbalanced. It runs into an OP amp that works as impedance buffer (1 MOhm), then turns the unbalanced signal into a balanced one, reduces gain (it's for line level...), then feeds it on the mic input. So if your line level is not too hot you are better off using the XLR input directly at minimum gain.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Interesting, so the XLR offers a less cluttered signal path.