Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS: DAC AB Comparison

Hi there,

I want to do an experiment and fail. Maybe someone can help me.
I want to benchmark the RME ADI Fs Pro with another DAC and use the RME also as Preamp for both..
The RME is connected to the computer and the other DAC goes into the analogue Input of the RME ADI.
Now I want to switch between RME ADI DAC and the  DAC under test.

It seems that if the ADI is connected to USB it goes always into the USB mode and I can not switch the Input for Out12.
(I can do so for Phones34, do not really understand it..)
Is there a trick to be able to switch the Input?

Second Question - If I go into the analogue Input in the Preamp Mode and play direkt through Output 12. Is the signal path then analogue or goes the signal always through AD/DA?

Best Regards
Sebabe

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS: DAC AB Comparison

If you change the Basic mode to AD/DA (as the menu suggests) then you can choose any source for outputs 1/2.

Analog input signals are always digitized.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2018-11-11 20:20:54)

EDITED: contained too many typos and I performed some checks in terms of routing on the ADI-2 Pro.

I regard this not as a valid test, both DACs should get the unaltered audio material digitally
so that each of the DACs performs then only the D/A conversion.
And your HiFi Amp needs then 2 x analog stereo inputs.

If also the other DAC offers an optical SPDIF inputs and if you perform such tests more often,
then I would recommend you to get also the RME Digiface USB recording interface.

The Digiface USB supports four ADAT I/O, where each of those ports can be switched to optical SPDIF as required.
This is a very unique feature for this interface.

Using TotalMix FX you can then easily store the different routings to the different DACs into Snapshots.
Up to four DACs would be possible, its only limited in terms of how many analog inputs are free on your HiFi Amp.

You can even integrate the ARC USB into this setup, then you could switch very comfortably betwee the 4 routing/devices.

Alternatively you can also use a remote control of your HiFi to switch between the analog input channels.

I tried today on my ADI-2 Pro to find a setting, to be able to switch between AN 1/2 and SPDIF out,
but couldn't find a setting that allows for this.

So if RME has no idea how this could be achieved, to switch between AN1/2 and SPDIF OUT on the ADI-2 Pro,
then I think you require something like the Digiface USB additionally to perform such A/B comparisons between two DACs,
assumed your 2nd DAC in the test has an optical SPDIF input.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for both answers! I agree - it does not make sense to do a day benchmark like that if the analog  input of the ADI 2 is always digitized. I thought I could use it also analoge.
@ramses: It is not as easy as you think... The other DAC is a bit special high end audio streamer. It can only receive an airplay stream. No other input possible. Sounds strange but it is like that (and sounds really amazing (La Rosita - beta connect).
I wanted to try to use one time the preamp of the Rosita, one time RME - to be able to judge the preamp too...
Regards
Sebabe