Topic: FF800 startup problem

Hi, long time no see.

I’ve been so happy with the FF800 for the last nine years, but just lately it has developed a problem. It’s connected to the same Furman Power conditioner that my computer, so I usually don’t use the FF800 power switch but turn the Furman on and then boot up the computer. Usually the FF800 shows the LEVEL IN/OUT lights and the HOST light, the last one until the computer has booted up.

Lately, not every time but more and more often, no lights on power-up but slightly blinking SIG light on the front panel channel 1, accompanied with hardly audible clicking sound (that sounds much louder on the headphones if they are connected, even with the volume all the way down). Sometimes everything goes back to normal if you just switch the FF800 off and on (from its own switch), sometimes you need to power down the computer, turn the Furman down and then turn everything on again. I’m afraid one day this doesn’t help either.

The clicking sounds to me like a relay, so I would think this might be a hardware problem. Anyway, the FF800 is up to date (Firmware 2.77, Drivers 3.124). Computer has Windows 10 / 64 bit, up to date, although I don’t remember this starting after any system or software update. (I was just off for a long weekend and had things powered down – FF800 doesn’t have any memory backup battery that might be running out, does it?)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mwah

Re: FF800 startup problem

Nine years, probably needs a new PSU...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

The PSU might well be it, thanks.

Something new I noticed: When FF800 starts with the relay click and unresponsive, if you just leave it on for a while it will suddenly come to life and behave normally.

Got the FF800 back from the service today. Apparently, the problem was with the PSU as cyrano suggested. Now the unit seems to work as normal. Thanks!