Topic: RME Babyface w/ Console? (PS4 Pro, Xbox One)

Hello, I figured I would post this topic because I can't seem to find any information online regarding this topic and I wanted to see if anyone knows how to accomplish this or even if it's a possibility in the first place.

The Question: Can you run audio from your gaming console through the RME Babyface Audio Interface?

My Situation: I currently have the RME Babyface Audio Interface hooked up to my PC w/ the TotalMix FX software on my PC. I also have a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50x headphones that I have plugged into the RME Babyface. I also have a Shure SM7B microphone plugged in as well. My RME Babyface allows me to hear my desktop audio / PC games through my headphones.

The main issue I have is the fact that if I want to play a console game (PS4 Pro, Xbox One), I have to unplug my ATH M50x headphones from the RME Babyface, and then plug into an old ASTRO gaming headset MixAmp I have. This MixAmp is connected to my PC via usb and also connected to my PS4 Pro via optical cable. The main purpose for this is so that I can hear both my console audio AND my PC desktop audio at the same time. The thing is, I want to be able to achieve this through the actual Audio Interface, that way I no longer need to unplug my headphones from the RME Babyface and into something else, and I can enjoy the high quality audio the RME Babyface provides.

I noticed that the RME Babyface has an optical cable slot in the back of it, so I went ahead and purchased a normal optical cable, plugged it into the PS4 Pro and then into the back of my RME Babyface, went into the PS4 Pro system settings and changed it to (digital optical cable) but I still can't seem to get any sound to come through the audio interface when my ATH M50x's are plugged in to the interface as well.

I'm just wondering if this is possible, I really hope it is and someone might know how / offer some help because it would be MUCH appreciated. One of the main reasons I want to do this is so I can play console games and also use the Discord voice chat on my desktop with my Shure SM7B... all at the same time like I can with the ASTRO MixAmp I have.

Any help is MUCH appreciated,

Thanks!

Re: RME Babyface w/ Console? (PS4 Pro, Xbox One)

I assume the PS4 Pro can only act as clock master. Then the BBF needs to be set to act as clock slave.
Configure in the RME driver settings dialog, that the BBF needs to get clock from ADAT.

In the BBF handbook you can read in chapter 5 that the BBF automatically recognizes whether it receives
a signal in ADAT or SPDIF format, in that regards you do not need to configure anything.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

I assume the PS4 Pro can only act as clock master. Then the BBF needs to be set to act as clock slave.
Configure in the RME driver settings dialog, that the BBF needs to get clock from ADAT.

In the BBF handbook you can read in chapter 5 that the BBF automatically recognizes whether it receives
a signal in ADAT or SPDIF format, in that regards you do not need to configure anything.

So how do you actually set the Babyface as the clock slave? Is that done through the TotalMix FX software?

second sentence

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm not sure where exactly to go to configure the RME driver settings dialog.

6 (edited by ramses 2018-11-14 18:45:25)

Pls download the BBF handbook, search for "settings", you will find quickly information about driver settings, i.e. in chapter 7.1.