Topic: Cheapest way to add 8 DA to a UFX II

Hello,

Is there something cheaper (within rme) than a adi 8 mk3?
that’s for driving more speakers so 48khz is enough.

Would a used fire face without usb work ?

If I go with adi 8, can I control the volume of then 16  channels from TotalMix ? I think yes, just to be sure.

Thanks

Re: Cheapest way to add 8 DA to a UFX II

You expand via ADAT1 or ADAT2 out of your UFX II
ADAT HW Outputs in TM FX have a fader .. so yes you can of course control the volume.
And even more, you can create a fader group to control volume for several outputs at once.

You could consider to take a RME UCX, as this is the cheapest recording interface which has 6 programmable standalone profiles, where you can hardcode the routing very easy for standalone operation, which is tad a bit less expensive.

But tbh I would use the ADI-8 DS its the proper high quality "tool" / device  for this task:
https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_adi8_ds.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

OK thanks ordered.
I have a fader group already.

pierreaubert wrote:

OK thanks ordered.
I have a fader group already.

Which one of the two now ? The converter or the recording interface ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

on the converter.

Thinking a bit more, the delta in price with another UFX ii is around 400 less if i take a refurbish one, that would give me another 4 mic.

Would that work?
2xUFX ii
1 wordclock cable, 2 adat cable (not full speed)

Thanks

Look into the handbook, usually you can use up to 2 or 3 interfaces connected to USB in parallel.

As you use then the same ASIO driver, the DAW can access all three at once.
There are only 2 requirements
- clock synched (you could either "waste" ADAT) or use WC
- both interfaces need to use the same ASIO buffersize

The drawback is, that you need to open / work with 2 different TM FX instances and you can't have routing across TM instances.

Therefore I would regard it as better to expand by using the ADAT channels which are there for such purposes and invest into a real ADDA converter that directly connects to your one UFX II.

In terms of handling its easier to work with one TM FX instance and
in terms of functionality its better to have any to any routing capabilities in the one TM FX instance.

I would recommend you for those reasons to stay with 1 UFX II and the additional converter.
Its not so much difference in price but better functionality / easier and more straightforward to use.

Ramses, I want to say thank you. I bought a used da16 and it works like a charm form 800 chf.
RME rules smile

Glad that I could help, enjoy your new equipment :-)