Topic: HDSPe MADI - 24 channels device

Hi everyone,

i have a device that can except only 24 channels of Madi. Is there a way for me to split the madi signal so i am not locked to that device only.

What i want to do is somehow send the 24 channels to that device but still use the remaining channels on another device. Is that possible?

Sorry for the stupid question but i am kind of new to MADI.

Thanks in advance

2 (edited by ramses 2018-11-16 16:59:45)

Re: HDSPe MADI - 24 channels device

Surely there are cheaper ways, but you could use a HDSPe MADI FX or MADIface XT which have a very nice and
unique driver feature to mirror MADI BUS 1 OUT to the other 2 MADI buses.

You configure this in the RME driver settings. See handbooks of these two products and search for "mirror".

If you are not looking for a new recording interface then I think you could also use the MADI Router ("from memory",
didn't have the time to re-read the manual, browsed through that products manual a few month ago).
For my understanding these kind of things is one of the main use cases of the MADI router.
And this device also contains redundant power supplies for better resilience.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

So just to do that i need to invest about $1000?

Only splitting would be easy - there exist optical, passive splitters, as well as passive (might not work) and active splitters (no example at hand) for coaxial. But what about the combining, at the card's input? That will require a complicated and expensive solution.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don't think i explained what i am trying to achieve the right way. I have 56 channels of MADI. I have a device that can use only 24 of them. How do i still use the rest of the channels on other devices?

Hard to say without knowing what this device is. Usually, unused channels are passed through to the next device (MADI units are typically designed for daisy chaining).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Oh thanks Jeff. Thats really cool. I am new to MADI and that's really nice. So basically, You say thatif i go from the out of the device that receive it and from there to another device then the second will get the rest? But how does it know the channel numbers that it has available after the first device utilize them. I basically want to use 24 of the channels in the studio to have ADAT, AES and TDIF (8,8 and 8) the device is a OTARI FS-96 with Madi. And from there to go to my analog I/Os whatever they are going to be.  So that would be possible? Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what the problem was with my reply - it was fully correct. You could split the MADI signal and feed two full 64 channels to different devices. Of course your 'other' devices must be able to be configured to take specific channels out of the MADI stream.

Don't know if the Otari will pass on any MADI channels - check its manual to find out. On other devices either the whole stream is forwarded, or a configurable part of it. There is no generalization for this kind of feature.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC. No problem with your reply what so ever. Thank you. I am just trying to understand the MADI format. But thanks for clearing that out.

BTW, the term 'split' is technically incorrect, I think. The 'splitters' I talked about 'double' the output signal, so one output is turned into two outputs, both having the same full channel-count signal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by ramses 2018-11-18 07:27:57)

BTW, I wrote a review of the HDSPe MADI FX and a complete setup / use case based on this card.

This blog article leads you to the PDF containing the review: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ct-Review/

The Review (PDF): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … l-v1-0-pdf

As you are generally interested into a MADI setup, the review will show you whats possible with it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13