1 (edited by andrewoneaware 2018-11-18 19:53:24)

Topic: Can't hear voice in Headphone.

I'm trying  to record something with the Fireface UCX and i can't hear my microphone input on my Headphones, i tried everything i can think of in Totalmix but i can't really figure it out.

How do i set it up to do so??

Thanks in advance

Re: Can't hear voice in Headphone.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27770

Pls read my post 10 and 11 in this thread.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It does not take much time to watch RME's videos at the link below. The first in the sequence shows how to set up headphones in the control room section of TotalMix.  It would be good to watch all of the videos.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0 … nSXF_f8UB6

ramses i actually had already seen those posts of yours and and i followed them but i can't seem to make it work.
I've also seen those videos but they didnt help much.

I've been working with several soundcards for more than 20 years and this is the first i can't get the logic behing it.

I must be missing something.

My voice is in the mic and in both the Main out and Phones1 in the Totalmix but they don't play at all on my headphones.

Everything else does though.

What mic do you have ? Condenser perhaps ? Did you enable phantom power ? TM FX -> HW input channel -> tool symbol
Enable 48V.

Otherwise in terms of routing, again ....

Did you check that Submix Mode is enabled in TotalMix FX ?
If yes: then select the channel of your Phones1 Output in the base row by clicking with the mouse onto it.
Now you can raise the faders of HW inputs (top row) and SW Playback Channels (middle Row) to create your submix.

Not more, not less I told the other guys and also in my step for step guide.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes i did all that.

My Mic 1 level only appears on the upper row (where it says "mic1") but doesn't play on any Hardware Input in the middle row.
Is it supposed toplay on a hardware input? I can't seem to route it there.

I can record, i just can't hear the mic.

The Mic Input needs to be 1st seen on HW inputs. HW inputs are always passed to the application.
But did you maybe mute the channel for your submix ?

I don't think i have, i don't even know how to do that.

I'm getting really frustrated. I've never seen such an unintuitive interface.

Here's my totalmix:

https://ibb.co/jYawAL

That's while it's playing the song and the mic is on.

10 (edited by ramses 2018-11-18 22:44:51)

You assigned "Phones1" to the wrong HW output.

I checked the manual, the Phones output is AN 7/8.

If you would have assigned the Phones1 output properly, then it would have vanished from the HW outputs
on the left side as it moves by this into the control room on the right.
Your screenshot was a good idea, you still see AN7/8 on the left,
so from that its clear, you simply assigned wrong, then it can't work.

In my guide I clearly said, that the output channel for phones depends on the recording interface.
BTW on the front of the recording interface you see "Phones 7/8", this refers to AN 7/8 output.

11 (edited by JRT 2018-11-19 14:04:03)

andrewoneaware wrote:

Rewatch the first four videos, less than 12 minutes total.

The first video shows how to set up headphones in the control room. Set up the control room first.

The third video shows how to route audio.  Start at the bottom in TotalMix.

ramses wrote:

You assigned "Phones1" to the wrong HW output.

I checked the manual, the Phones output is AN 7/8.

If you would have assigned the Phones1 output properly, then it would have vanished from the HW outputs
on the left side as it moves by this into the control room on the right.
Your screenshot was a good idea, you still see AN7/8 on the left,
so from that its clear, you simply assigned wrong, then it can't work.

In my guide I clearly said, that the output channel for phones depends on the recording interface.
BTW on the front of the recording interface you see "Phones 7/8", this refers to AN 7/8 output.

Hey ramses that worked!

Your fast help and dedication to helping me resolve this yesterday was very much appreciated.

My frustration is solely geared towards this product, wich altough has solid drivers and build quality, it is by far the worst software mixer i have ever tried, both in terms of integration and intuitiveness.

Again, thank you very much!

JRT wrote:
andrewoneaware wrote:

Rewatch the first four videos, less than 12 minutes total.

The first video shows how to set up headphones in the control room. Set up the control room first.

The third video shows how to route audio.  Start at the bottom in TotalMix.

It's working now, thanks man.

14 (edited by ramses 2018-11-19 20:43:14)

Nice that it helped.
The screenshot was a nice idea, many thanks.

Give it a new try, actually this is the best mixer avaliable, maybe you simply were not ready for it
and tried things in a haste. I came from Focusrite to RME. I was never friend of Focusrite Mixcontrol.
Not logic and limiting me.

Finally it turned out that you made simply a little mistake with much effect.

Maybe the other 75% you tried were ok, but didn't work because of the wrong assignment.

Never saw somebody screwing up this since 4+y in the forum. Can happen, but a very rare case.

Come on .. now enjoy TM FX wink