Topic: Multiface 2 - Higher noise floor than before on Analog Inputs

Hello,

I'm trying to see if I have a known issue with my Multiface 2. I've recently noticed a higher noise floor on the analog inputs, coming in at about -60db,  which is about 10db louder than what I would normally see in the past.

I can get this noise to go back to normal if I switch the Analog Level Inputs to Hi Gain, and then back to +4. Is there a reason why this would start happening? The fix is fine for now as a temporary band-aid, but I'm worried of a larger or worsening problem.

Re: Multiface 2 - Higher noise floor than before on Analog Inputs

What's your input source? Even -60 seems rather high...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

That's with nothing plugged into the inputs. Like I said, the noise goes away after I flick the Analog Level switch to Hi Gain and back, but it eventually comes back, not sure how long after, I just happen to hear it when I start working on something.

Measure the noise as RMS with either TotalMix FX or DIGICheck so we get a better grip on what's going on. -60 is much too high, even when measured as peak values.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by FilchMedia 2018-11-22 15:40:03)

RMS is -70
But now I've tried to clear the noise with the level switch and it's not resolving the issue like it was before.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XviehjU5r4HNHBtE7

RMS Levels per Gain setting
Hi-Gain    -83
+4           -70
+10         -70

Something is not ok here, the unit seems to be in need of service.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'll contact Synthax.

8 (edited by FilchMedia 2018-11-28 17:26:56)

I'm waiting to get an external power supply to see if that changes anything, but I've been doing more troubleshooting in the meantime while I wait. Something very strange is going on.

Hammerfall DSP Settings :
Buffer Size 128
Sample Rate 96khz
Clock Internal

I can clearly see in TotalMix that I have this noise on all 8 channels of analog inputs. I can hear each channel of this noise when I route the audio to  Analog out 7/8 which goes to my amp/headphones. But, when I use DigiCheck and set the Input Device Setup to Hardware Level,  I see the noise on 1,2,3 and 4, but  5,6,7, 8 has ZERO noise.  RMS stays still at -73.4, but Peak is UFL

If I set the sample rate to 48khz, the noise actually drops a little bit on 1-4, by about 3db, (-73 RMS and -63 Peak), and I now see a reading on 5-8 at the same levels.

Is this a problem indicative of the I/O box or the PCIe card? Is there anything else I should check?

FilchMedia wrote:

Is this a problem indicative of the I/O box or the PCIe card? Is there anything else I should check?

Hi FilchMedia,

I know its been a while, but did you resolve the problem in the end somehow?

I seem to have a very similar one, but I get the same noise level on all 8 AN inputs. Tried connecting ADI-2 to digital inputs, I get expected -111 to -112 dB there, otherwise the 8 analog inputs stay on around -72 on the MF2, with nothing connected anywhere, occasionally peaking to -63 when switching analog input level.

cupakm wrote:
FilchMedia wrote:

Hi FilchMedia,

I know its been a while, but did you resolve the problem in the end somehow?

I seem to have a very similar one, but I get the same noise level on all 8 AN inputs. Tried connecting ADI-2 to digital inputs, I get expected -111 to -112 dB there, otherwise the 8 analog inputs stay on around -72 on the MF2, with nothing connected anywhere, occasionally peaking to -63 when switching analog input level.

It is not valid to measure an "open" analog port with nothing connected to it.
You will get automatically a higher noise floor.
This has already been communicated a few times on the forum by RME / MC.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The problem is noise doesn't go away when connecting signal sources. It mixes with the signal. And is quite audible - hiss, humming, and squeaking when switching input level. That won't bother me and would consider it normal, if there wasn't the hiss and hum in the background. An ADI-2 or a BF connected in MF2's digital inputs sound just okay as they do connected to a RayDAT or PC-USB. The noises are well audible if I route analog inputs to AN1+2 output and crank the headphone amp volume just to 1/4 (audible) or 1/3 (pretty annoying), which otherwise would be just normal listening volumes. This leads me to suspicion the IO-box somehow went partially faulty, and as stated "may be in need of service", hence I asked how do I do that, because I didn't need to service a RME device, ever, in years.

12 (edited by ramses 2023-08-11 10:15:08)

ok, was not aware of other issues, only focussed on that last statement from you.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I sent it in for repair. They diagnosed a bad upper board and replaced it. Cost was ~$450.

It fixed the issue and has been working great since.