Topic: Firmware Updates ADI-2 Pro 185 / 89 and DAC 26 / 24

Firmware 185/89 (Pro) and 26/24 (DAC) address several issues, improve operation and add new functionality.

Fixes / Improvements, Pro & DAC

- When switching between an SPDIF input signal at 44.1 kHz and a USB playback at high sampling rate, or vice versa, USB PCM audio can become distorted, USB DSD would be muted. This has been fixed within the virtual USB clock design.

- The USB Sample Rate (SR) shown in the Status Overview screen is now the real USB sample rate, no longer the current clock rate.

- When changing between two EQ Presets where one had a high cut at a low frequency, and the other one had a high cut with a very high frequency, a short click sound occurred.

- Using Dual EQ will now correctly show left or right channel settings when scrolling through the graphical EQ presets, and also shows L or R in the title bar when scrolling starts on non-Dual presets.

- New option in SETUP – Options - Display: Show Vol. Screen, On/Off. This option disables the volume screen that is shown when changing the volume through the big Volume knob. The current volume value is still visible in the status bar, but screens like the Analyzer are no longer hidden during volume changes.

- The current Loudness values of Bass/Treble boost are now taken into account for the AutoRef Level switching thresholds.

- I/O menu – Volume now shows the correct values at lower settings

- The vertical AutoScroll (push and hold encoder 1 or 2 to move up or down within the menu) reacts and works much quicker

- Improved (fine tuned) the Volume knob behaviour to prevent bigger steps of volume changes when turning the knob with slow and medium speed

- Total Reset: The combination of pressing encoder 1 and 2 plus the VOL key will now also erase the EQ curves

ADI-2 Pro only:

- The digital trim gain for the analog inputs is now set separately for left and right channel.

- Dual volume linked mode (both Phones outputs in use, selection marker on both) is no longer lost after power off/on.

- Added 'PEQ+B/T+LD 1-4' as action to the Remap Function Key list

ADI-2 DAC only:

- FPGA firmware 26 fixes a left channel click when switching from USB playback at more than Single Speed to SPDIF at 44.1 kHz (added reset when changing clock mode).

New Feature Pro & DAC

- Ability to lock the analog output level to a specific value. This feature is usually known as fixed output level (in contrary to variable/adjustable). So far all analog outputs were always adjustable by the Volume knob. The new firmware adds an entry Lock Volume in the I/O menu of the analog outputs, down at the bottom where Volume and Balance can be set. With Lock Volume active, the Volume knob can no longer be used to change the output level. The Volume adjustment within the menu still works, and is used to set the 'fixed' output level. The Lock state is indicated in the VOL screen, Volume screen and the status bar.

For example if the analog output should operate like a typical HiFi unit @ 2 V output level (equals +8 dBu), set the hardware Ref Level to +13 dBu and Volume to -5 dB. On the DAC a setting of +7 dBu and 0 dB volume would be as good as that and offers highest Signal to Noise Ratio. More examples:

1 V (0 dBV, +2.2 dBu): Pro Ref +4 dBu, Vol -2 dB. DAC Ref +7 dBu, Vol -5 dB

0.775 V (0 dBu, -2.2 dBV): Pro Ref +4 dBu, Vol -4 dB. DAC Ref +1 dBu, Vol -1 dB

0.5 V (-3.8 dBu, -6 dBV): Pro Ref +4 dBu, Vol -8 dB. DAC Ref +1 dBu, Vol -5 dB

0.315 V (-10 dBV, -7.8 dBu): Pro Ref +4 dBu, Vol -12 dB. DAC Ref -5 dBu, Vol -3 dB

Note that most analog reference levels (except 2V) usually offer a lot of headroom. Therefore matching the levels to 0 dBFS might result in too low volume. Also note that the above table is no longer valid when PEQ and Bass/Treble are in use. The digital level will be higher and might even overload, which can be clearly seen on the output's level meter. Volume has to be further reduced then.

As usual all manuals German/English have been updated with the latest changes:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_d.pdf

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profs_e.pdf
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profs_d.pdf

Firmware downloads:
Win:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_win.zip
Mac:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_mac.zip

Next post: how to update the firmware

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Firmware Updates ADI-2 Pro 185 / 89 and DAC 26 / 24

Deutsche Version im nächsten Beitrag.

Windows Firmware Update and Driver Uninstall

Since firmware 177 (Pro) and 17 (DAC) some users no longer install the MADIface Series driver under Windows 10, but use the Class Compliant driver that is part of the operating system. The most important advantage for DAC users is support for multiple sample rates and their automatic change via WASAPI.

Performing a firmware update requires the MADIface Series driver to be installed. While this adds a few steps to the flash update process, it is still very easy and shouldn't prevent you from doing so:

- Download the current MADIface Series driver (right now version 0.9680) from here:

http://rme.to/usbe

- Unzip and execute the rmeinstaller.exe. Follow the instructions on the screen.

- After driver installation reboot the computer. Then start the Flash Update Tool (FUT, download link in first post) to update the firmware. When finished, power off the unit for a few seconds. Power it back on and start the FUT again to check that the unit is updated on both FPGA and DSP.

Users that don't want to use the RME driver can then easily remove it. In Device Manager select the ADI under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click and choose Uninstall. A dialog is shown and here is the one important point: make sure to check Delete the driver software for this device. Otherwise the driver will stay within your Windows installation and gets reinstalled automatically after the next reboot.

Finally reboot and you are back to using Windows' own driver with all the advantages of the ADI's latest firmware version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Deutsche Version:

Windows Firmware Update und Treiber deinstallieren

Unter Windows 10 installieren manche Nutzer seit der Firmware 177 (Pro) und 17 (DAC) nicht mehr den MADIface Series Treiber, sondern verwenden den Class Compliant-Treiber der Teil des Betriebssystems ist. Der wichtigste Vorteil für DAC-Nutzer ist die Unterstützung mehrerer Abtastraten und deren automatische Änderung per WASAPI.

Um ein Firmware-Update durchzuführen, muss der MADIface Series Treiber installiert werden. Während dies den Flash-Update-Vorgang um einige Schritte erweitert, ist es dennoch sehr einfach und sollte Sie nicht daran hindern:

- Laden Sie den aktuellen MADIface Series-Treiber (aktuell Version 0.9680) von hier herunter:

- Entpacken Sie die Datei rmeinstaller.exe und führen Sie sie aus. Folgen Sie den Anweisungen auf dem Bildschirm.

- Nach der Treiberinstallation den Computer neu starten. Starten Sie dann das Flash Update Tool (FUT, Download-Link im ersten Beitrag), um die Firmware zu aktualisieren. Wenn Sie fertig sind, schalten Sie das Gerät für einige Sekunden aus. Schalten Sie das Gerät wieder ein und starten Sie den FUT erneut, um zu überprüfen, ob das Gerät sowohl auf FPGA als auch auf DSP aktualisiert wurde.

Benutzer, die den RME-Treiber nicht verwenden möchten, können ihn nun leicht entfernen. Wählen Sie im Geräte-Manager den ADI unter Audio, Video- und Gamecontroller aus, klicken Sie mit der rechten Maustaste, und wählen Sie Gerät Deinstallieren. Ein Dialog wird angezeigt, und hier kommt der wichtigste Punkt: Aktivieren Sie das Kästchen bei Treibersoftware für dieses Gerät löschen. Andernfalls bleibt der Treiber in Ihrer Windows-Installation und wird nach dem nächsten Neustart automatisch erneut installiert.

Nach einem Neustart verwenden Sie nun den Windows-eigenen Treiber mit allen Vorteilen der neuesten Firmware-Version des ADI.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for that!! I will update tonight.

If I may, in the RMA ADI-2 DAC user's guide, there is a "Pro" stain. P. 50, section 28: "using analog outputs 1/2 and 3/4." smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

I just fixed it. Thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello @MC,

First: thanks for all the support RME provides. I'm so happy with my ADI-2 DAC, probably one of my best audio purchase ever!

May I ask, about the fixed line out:

My ADI-2 DAC is set using RCA line out to my stereo amp. I was using the fix ref level +7dbu at 0db, which according to RME, is 1,73V.

To get the "standard" 2V output level usually used with HiFi sources, should I fix the level at "+13dbu, -5db"? Is that correct? Is there any degradation in performance, using a specific ref level and then, lowering it by few db or is it still the same?

Thanks a lot.

VintageFlanker wrote:

Hello @MC,

First: thanks for all the support RME provides. I'm so happy with my ADI-2 DAC, probably one of my best audio purchase ever!

May I ask, about the fixed line out:

My ADI-2 DAC is set using RCA line out to my stereo amp. I was using the fix ref level +7dbu at 0db, which according to RME, is 1,73V.

To get the "standard" 2V output level usually used with HiFi sources, should I fix the level at "+13dbu, -5db"? Is that correct? Is there any degradation in performance, using a specific ref level and then, lowering it by few db or is it still the same?

Thanks a lot.

First post wink

« For example if the analog output should operate like a typical HiFi unit @ 2 V output level (equals +8 dBu), set the hardware Ref Level to +13 dBu and Volume to -5 dB. On the DAC a setting of +7 dBu and 0 dB volume would be as good as that and offers highest Signal to Noise Ratio. »

So yes you would be at 2V RMS (+13 dBu/Volume -5), but at +7 dBu volume 0 the level is very close (1,73V RMS) and you have a better SNR (100% of DAC resolution).

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

8 (edited by VintageFlanker 2018-12-01 20:02:39)

N00b wrote:

So yes you would be at 2V RMS (+13 dBu/Volume -5), but at +7 dBu volume 0 the level is very close (1,73V RMS) and you have a better SNR (100% of DAC resolution).

Hello,

I'm a bit confused. Why I would get a better SNR? I believed, according to the manual, that +13dbu was rated at a better SNR than +7dbu.

Using RCA: 117 dB RMS unweighted (+13dbu) vs 116 dB RMS unweighted (+7dbu)

...Or the ADI-2 DAC outputs are supposed to work better with each ref level at 0db?

For +7 dBu you loose 1 dB at 0 dBFS compared to +13 dBu, that's right. But with the +13 dBu setting you have to reduce volume by 5 dB, so effectively loose 5 dB of 117 = 112 dB left. At +7 dBu you have 116 dB, that's 4 dB more. So while my statement was correct, and technically it makes sense, the difference in real-world is zero, because either way you will not be able to hear any noise from the DAC itself.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks a lot for volume knob fine tuning and show volume screen option.

Would it be possible for the volume display option from this firmware to still show the B/T adjustment screen? I keep the analyser open which allows me to see the volume changing in the lower portion of the screen without overriding the graph but I cannot see the B/T adjustment without going to the standalone volume display. Maybe another option can be temporarily replacing the small volume text in the bottom left with the B/T offset in dB, eg "B+2/T-1", just for a moment while changing it

Not really a big deal but just an idea

Thank you very much for the new features, great support!

The volume control is very smooth now (no jumping any more; much less aggressive acceleration), very comfortable to use, thank you.

BurritoJustice wrote:

Would it be possible for the volume display option from this firmware to still show the B/T adjustment screen? I keep the analyser open which allows me to see the volume changing in the lower portion of the screen without overriding the graph but I cannot see the B/T adjustment without going to the standalone volume display. Maybe another option can be temporarily replacing the small volume text in the bottom left with the B/T offset in dB, eg "B+2/T-1", just for a moment while changing it

Not really a big deal but just an idea

Switching off B/T screen was not intentional, sorry for that. Will be excluded with the next firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The DAC firmware 26/24 shifts the display of the bit test result by one: 16 Bit is shown as 24 Bit, 24 as 32, and 32 not at all. This will be fixed, of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Link is down

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs