1 (edited by abtr 2018-12-01 17:43:13)

Topic: USB driver (V1.164) problem with Windows 7 and ADI-2 DAC

Hi all,

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC which works perfectly with the native OSX USB audio driver of my MacMini. But I can’t get the DAC to work over USB with my Windows 7 (64bit) laptop. I downloaded and installed the following driver from the RME website: driver_usb_win_1164.zip, USB Driver for Windows 7/8/10, version 1.164 (06/26/2018). The DAC shows as audio device ADI-2 DAC (54681350) in the device manager, but it appears to be in some faulted state (little black and yellow exclamation mark). Windows says the driver is not installed and the DAC doesn’t show as a sound device in the system configuration sound dialogue. I tried everything: uninstall, reinstall, with - and without the DAC connected, computer restarts, DAC restarts, etc.

I installed various other USB audio drivers on this Windows 7 machine in the past, but all were removed so they can’t interfere. I can’t find anything about this Win7 & ADI-2 DAC problem online. Did anyone get this driver to work with Windows 7? Are there older drivers known to work with Windows 7? Should I update the DAC’s firmware? Should I contact RME? Any help/suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!

2 (edited by ramses 2018-12-01 19:48:31)

Re: USB driver (V1.164) problem with Windows 7 and ADI-2 DAC

You picked the wrong driver, take this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0n98hlppoq7p0x/2018-12-01%2019_46_24-RME_%20Downloads%20MADIface.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

You picked the wrong driver, take this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0n98hlppoq7p0x/2018-12-01%2019_46_24-RME_%20Downloads%20MADIface.jpg?dl=1

Thanks. I downloaded unzipped and installed: driver_madiface_win_09680.zip. All is fine as far as Win7 is concerned and the DAC plays.. But it is producing a strange ticking sound. Obviously something is still wrong with this driver.

4 (edited by ramses 2018-12-01 23:28:16)

The driver works fine here for an ADI-2 Pro FS BE. If the driver would cause issues, then you would see more user reports in the forum. Therefore I assume its a local problem on your side.

To which USB port do you connect the device ? USB2 or USB3 port ? From chipset (Intel/AMD) or 3rd party chip (ASMEDIA, ...) ?

Did you try all other USB ports on your system ?

Did you try another USB cable ?

What ASIO buffersize do you use ?

Which Windows energy profile do you use ?

Did you disable energy saving in the BIOS (C-States to C0/C1, disable P-/T-States). Disable C1E.

What program do you use for Audio playback ? Which audio driver did you configure in the application ? The RME ASIO driver or is this a Windows audio driver ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by abtr 2018-12-02 00:55:45)

ramses wrote:

The driver works fine here for an ADI-2 Pro FS BE. If the driver would cause issues, then you would see more user reports in the forum. Therefore I assume its a local problem on your side.

To which USB port do you connect the device ? USB2 or USB3 port ? From chipset (Intel/AMD) or 3rd party chip (ASMEDIA, ...) ?

Did you try all other USB ports on your system ?

Did you try another USB cable ?

What ASIO buffersize do you use ?

Which Windows energy profile do you use ?

Did you disable energy saving in the BIOS (C-States to C0/C1, disable P-/T-States). Disable C1E.

What program do you use for Audio playback ? Which audio driver did you configure in the application ? The RME ASIO driver or is this a Windows audio driver ?

I solved the problem, sort of.. I use an Intona high speed USB galvanic isolator in the USB path which electrically isolates the computer from the DAC. The Intona works without problems with the Macmini and ADI-2 DAC but it causes a strangely distorted ticking sound with the Win7 laptop and ADI-2. I removed the Intona and now sound is normal. Too bad I can’t use the Intona with the Windows driver. I wonder why.. Must be a driver issue..

If at all it is a hardware issue, not a driver issue. That said I have two Intonas myself and both work perfectly under W7 and W10 with all RME devices. That points to your laptop or the Intona (they had a firmware update more than a year ago - how old is your unit?).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by ramses 2018-12-02 10:22:32)

Nice that you found it. BTW .. If you would have mentioned the Intona in the 1st post, then I would have proposed to try it without as the 1st thing. There is always a chance that its not so "transparant" as it claims to be for whatever reason (other components, firmware, damaged, ..).

8 (edited by abtr 2018-12-02 11:13:03)

MC wrote:

If at all it is a hardware issue, not a driver issue. That said I have two Intonas myself and both work perfectly under W7 and W10 with all RME devices. That points to your laptop or the Intona (they had a firmware update more than a year ago - how old is your unit?).

Thanks. Hmm.. I know there were initially some problems with the Intona and some USB DACs for which there was a firmware update. I bought my Intona a few months later (march 2016) so I suppose it has the firmware update.. I’m not aware of any firmware updates after that. I have the non-industrial version by the way. Maybe I should contact Intona about this..

Anyway, the Intona works fine with the Mac mini and ADI-2 DAC, the only difference being the USB driver? And it also works fine with the Win7 laptop and a variety of other DACs and DDCs, again the only difference being the driver.. I will try it with the ADI-2 and another Win7 laptop and a Win10 PC..

9 (edited by abtr 2018-12-02 11:52:34)

I tried the other Win7 laptop (DELL) and the ADI-2 DAC now works with the Intona! So someting is wrong or different with the other laptop (HP). I'll try to figure out what the problem is. Thanks for the help. smile

Just one more thing. I tried to play some 24/96 audio (Tidal MQA) but the ADI-2 DAC indicates that it is receiving 44.1khz audio. (I selected the ADI-2 driver in the Tidal settings.) When I play the same album via Tidal on the Mac mini, the ADI-2 display shows 96khz as it should. Is this a configuration setting of the Windows driver and if so how can it be changed?

You need to manually set the DAC to 96 kHz in its Settings dialog, all explained in the manual. If you use Roon with Tidal you can use ASIO, then it will work under Win 7 automatically. Otherwise it also works with Windows 10, without the RME driver. All explained here in great detail (firmware update 17).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You need to manually set the DAC to 96 kHz in its Settings dialog, all explained in the manual. If you use Roon with Tidal you can use ASIO, then it will work under Win 7 automatically. Otherwise it also works with Windows 10, without the RME driver. All explained here in great detail (firmware update 17).

OK, found it, thanks. I should have read the manual first wink I will update the ADI-2 firmware and use Win10 and WASAPI for automatic sample rate and bit depth detection.

Well, I updated the ADI-2 firmware to the latest version and I updated Windows 10 (on a Lenovo laptop) to version 1803. The ADI-2 is recognized by Windows 10 alright, but I can't get the DAC to play in WASAPI exlusive mode in Tidal or Foobar2000. It only plays in shared mode, with the sample rate dictated by Windows. In Tidal I selected "Speaker : (ADI-2 DAC (54681350))" with "exclusive mode" and "force volume" options set, but the ADI-2 still plays the Windows sample rate and reacts to the Windows volume control. In Foobar2000, with the latest WASAPI plug-in (version 3.3), I selected "WASAPI (event or push) : Speakers (ADI-2 DAC (54681350))" and when I play a track I get an error: "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 16-bit / 2 channels." When I select "DS : Speakers (ADI-2 DAC (54681350))" in Foobar2000, the DAC plays but (again) in shared mode.

Now if I go to Control panel > Sound > ADI-2 DAC (54681350) > Properties, the "Enhancements" tab is missing! So I can't disable sound effects, which I know is necessary for WASAPI exlusive mode to function. I found on the web that this can be a problem with audio drivers after a Windows 10 update. So I uninstalled the Windows USB audio 2.0 driver (via device manager) and restarted the computer to reinstall the driver. I did this several times. I also reinstalled the Realtek and Intel audio driver, but to no avail. I can't get the Enhancements tab to show in the ADI-2 DAC's properties dialogue. sad

Is there a solution to this problem or should I ask this on a Microsoft forum?

Are you sure you have no RME driver on this Windows 10 computer?

The Enhancements tab missing is normal, it is not supported in CC mode.

On the Advanced tab, you have the choice of all available sample rates or just one? If all (44 to 384 kHz) then try the Testbutton and verify the sr change in the ADI display. Then check the Exclusive mode options below, which should both be checked.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, I didn't know the missing Enhancements tab was normal in CC mode. No RME driver was ever installed on this computer. It had a Schiit Audio driver installed, but I uninstalled it before the Windows 10 update. All sample rates (44 to 384 kHz) are available on the Advanced tab (all 32 bit). The sample rate selected here shows in the DAC's display when I click the test button and with other audio applications (Tidal in Exlusive mode, Foobar2000 in SD mode).The Exclusive mode options on the Advanced tab are both checked..

16 (edited by abtr 2018-12-06 20:32:54)

So I did a clean install of Windows 10 version 1809 (home edition) on the Lenovo. Then I installed Foobar2000 with the latest WASAPI plug-in (version 3.3) and the latest Tidal desktop application. Results were the same as I described above, the ADI-2 DAC doesn't play with Foobar's WASAPI plug-in (only in DS mode) and Tidal appears to play in Exclusive mode (WASAPI) but uses the Windows Shared mode sample rate and Windows volume control changes the volume.

I have what appears to be the same issue with my Pro Fs BE. Totally clean setup with the latest Win10, tidal doesn't change the sample rate and I have to change it manually with the windows dialogue (44.1-384 32bit). I can't seem to get the sample rate to change in any (non-ASIO) program outside of the windows sounds sample rate.

I also had issues with foobar WASAPI, though that attempt was a while ago.

I can provide an extensive description of my OS setup if needed. I am currently using the madiface driver as I need to manually change the sample rate anyway so there appears to be no downside.

I just rechecked with our internal WASAPI player, sr changes as expected. This is Windows 1803 (17134), ADI-2 DAC on 26/24.

I then went the extra mile, installed latest Foobar and WASAPI component, dragged wave files with different sample rates into the default window (playlist), changed playback output to WASAPI Event Speakers ADI-2 DAC at 32 bit, then played the files. The player behaved very strange. I noticed I had to double-click a file to have it change the sample rate. I then changed  Playback-Other to 'Cursor follows playback', and now everything works as expected. Same with Pro.

If you really have the latest build (1809) maybe UAC2 WASAPI is broken in it?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I had the exact same problems with Windows 10 1803, that's why I did a clean Windows10 1809 install (the Home edition). Are you using Win10 Professional or Enterprise edition?

Home.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

21 (edited by abtr 2018-12-07 21:57:29)

MC wrote:

Home.

Okay, I restarted the computer and Foobar2000 works with Output set to WASAPI PUSH Speakers ADI-2 DAC at 32 bit! 24/96 files play nicely and the ADI-2 displays the correct sr. You said you used WASAPI Event is that correct? Here WASAPI Event produces distorted sound.

It then seems that the problem with the Windows Tidal app not playing the correct sample rate is a problem of the Windows Tidal software..

WASAPI Event would be the correct way to use it. But you are right, that only works with 44.1 kHz, at 48 kHz it is distorted. This is clearly a bug in Foobar or the WASAPI component, as it also happens with a different third party DAC, and does not happen in Roon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, all problems solved. Thanks for the help. A question still is, why doesn't the RME WASAPI driver do automatic sample rate switching? Any other WASAPI DAC driver I know does this, even in Windows 7 and with Tidal.

Because it supports more than 2 channels, multi-client ASIO, multiclient WDM, and mixed multi-client WDM/ASIO. You are welcome to find a driver with that feature set which also switches sample rates via WASAPI.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

25 (edited by abtr 2018-12-11 21:19:16)

Well, I would be quite happy with a simple, single-client, 2 channel, WASAPI driver for the ADI-2 DAC that does automatic sample rate switching. wink

Anyway, since I stream most of my music from Tidal, which is almost entirely 16/44.1 (except for MQA encoded material), I decided to use the RME driver for Windows and set it to 44.1kHz. It plays in WASAPI exclusive mode but there are many dropouts which correspond to the Diagnostics counter of the Settings app (one error every few seconds, not crc5). What does this mean? Transmission or receiving errors of the computer or of the DAC?

When I remove my Intona from the USB chain, things improve with a single 4 meter AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable but still there are many dropouts. Only when I use a 2 meter or shorter USB cable between computer and DAC, the dropouts completely disappear. I replicated this behavior with 3 different Windows laptops with the RME driver.

Now the USB setup with the Intona in place seems to work fine with my Mac Mini and with the Windows USB Audio 2.0 driver. No dropouts. What could that mean? Is there actually the same number of transmission/receiving errors but do the native OS X audio driver and Windows driver somehow repair those errors instead of producing audible dropouts?

26 (edited by abtr 2018-12-12 21:22:50)

Do you (or does anyone) have any thoughts on my questions in post #25? Especially the question, what type (if not all) of USB errors does the Diagnostics counter of the Settings app (that comes with the RME MADIFace audio driver) count? Are these errors at the DAC interface and/or sending errors of the computer/driver? As far as I know, the DAC only sends back requests for smaller or larger USB packet sizes to the computer/driver; not error messages..

27 (edited by abtr 2018-12-13 19:49:08)

No one? Regarding the Diagnostics error counter of the Settings app, the manual says: "If the unit detects a record or playback error the number shown will no longer be 0. An audio reset is performed automatically." (p. 41) Could that possibly refer to playback errors at the DAC's  end of the USB chain? I ask this because I suspect there may be a problem with the USB interface of the ADI-2. Thanks.

A general "problem with the USB interface of the ADI-2" would have been noticed or fixed by now.... The USB errors counter of the ADI, as of other RME USB interfaces, clearly points to an issue on the computer side of things. Have you tried all available USB ports?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

29 (edited by abtr 2018-12-13 21:46:03)

RME Support wrote:

A general "problem with the USB interface of the ADI-2" would have been noticed or fixed by now.... The USB errors counter of the ADI, as of other RME USB interfaces, clearly points to an issue on the computer side of things. Have you tried all available USB ports?

I tried all USB ports of 3 different Windows PCs. Could audible dropouts be caused by invalid, or no USB feedback from DAC to computer, resulting in buffer overruns or underruns at the DAC side? Anyhow, some component of the USB interface of the ADI-2 DAC appears to have died. The display says: USB disconnected..