Topic: AIO with vinyle

Hello,
I have an AIO HDSPe with amplified monitors. I would like to see how best to integrate a vinyl player.
Is it possible with my material?
Thanks for the answers,
Guy

Re: AIO with vinyle

You need a phono preamp or a small DJ mixer.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Thanks for answer,
I saw that some phonos have an output line, could that be suitable with an entry of my RME?

No, the signal still needs preamplification and RIAA equalization.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for answer,
I think there is no adaptable preamp for my card at RME
Can you point me to a preamp?

I forgoted to say that i have an extension card "AI4S-192 AIO "

Any phono preamp will do. You will only need an RCA-TRS adapter cable.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

8 (edited by gufau 2018-12-18 13:12:56)

Yes i understand but i am à little bit lost...
Has anyone already done what I'm looking for to spice myself up in the material to acquire?

I`m don`t know but...at least state your budget and what you want or need to do!

Vincent, Amsterdam

I just want a vinyl listening on my config, I'm not a pro but I appreciate a precise and relatively neutral restitution
For the budget, I have not defined yet, for now I inquire what exactly I need:
Platin vinyle>préamp phono>RME AIO>préamp passif (goldpoint)>PSI Audio

I saw this préamp: https://fr.audiofanzine.com/preampli-tr … 35573.html

Otherwise, with a RCA / trs adapter I have to enter what type of input of my RME AIO?

11 (edited by ramses 2018-12-18 14:29:01)

gufau wrote:

Yes i understand but i am à little bit lost...
Has anyone already done what I'm looking for to spice myself up in the material to acquire?

- as vinark said .. budget .. you can get phono preamps over €2000 and more...
- do you have a Moving Coil (MC) or Moving Magnet (MM) phono cartridge on your turntable ?
- do you want / need flexibility to support both MC and MM ?
- do you want simple Cinch outputs (unbalanced) or do you prefer to have a phono preamp
with balanced XLR outputs which allows you to connect very long studio cables up to your recording interface ?

Between Turntable and Phono Preamp the strategy is to have very short cable in terms of least loss of quality / sound.
Then the phono preamp brings the signal to line level.
But even with line level you would not choose cables longer than perhaps 3m.

So .. if the distance between the turntable and your PC with RME recording interface is a bit longer and if you do not want to carry the one or the other back and forth if you want to record vinyl .. well then it might make sense to look for a phone preamp which supports XLR / balanced outputs. Then you can take any Microphone cable with i.e. XLR one one side and i.e. TRS plug on the other side to connect it to the analog inputs of your recording interface. But the price tag will be higher, as balanced outputs will be more rare or be used only in high-end environments.

Maybe you understand now, that its not about, what other people did, its more about you, what you aim for, what your requirements are.

This i.e. might be a very nice unit, but very expensive:
https://clearaudio.de/en/products/elect … lance+.php

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

12 (edited by ramses 2018-12-18 14:28:35)

gufau wrote:

I just want a vinyl listening on my config, I'm not a pro but I appreciate a precise and relatively neutral restitution

Otherwise, with a RCA / trs adapter I have to enter what type of input of my RME AIO?

For that price ... try it out, if it doesn't deliver as expected, send back.

If I were you I would ask before, whether it supports MC and/or MM.

And what do you have btw .. MC or MM ???

Would be cool if you could deliver some fact ...
Manufacturer and model of your turntable and the same for the phono cartridge ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

gufau wrote:

With this one you will need XLR female to trs addapters or cables.
BUT Le boîtier nécessite une alimentation fantôme 48V (XLR), which you do not have on the AIO

Vincent, Amsterdam

14 (edited by ramses 2018-12-18 14:37:32)

And I found no information whether its applicable to be used for MC and MM.
And if I didn't overlook, he even didn't mention in this thread what he has.
Without all this required information its a fruitless discussion.
The device which I posted seems to be able to support everything but will be much too expensive.

I personally think he should go to a good sorted HiFi shop and ask what alternatives are there
or ask in a HiFi forum.

In this forum we can only inform him about, that his interface supports balanced and unbalanced connections.
And the other question from me shall give him enough hints, what to look for ...

ramses wrote:

The device which I posted seems to be able to support everything but will be much too expensive.

I personally think he should go to a good sorted HiFi shop and ask what alternatives are there
or ask in a HiFi forum.

In this forum we can only inform him about, that his interface supports balanced and unbalanced connections.
And the other question from me shall give him enough hints, what to look for ...

Please Ramses, I don't mind assisting him!

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thanks for these informations and help
RAMSES:
I do not have a turntable yet, but I'm thinking of going to MM
I have a rack with my materials and I would integrate the board on it so no need for long wiring. I would have preferred to enter symmetrically on my sound card
VINARK:
I already have a phantom power supply and I can do my cables myself, it's not a problem

ramses wrote:

This i.e. might be a very nice unit, but very expensive:
https://clearaudio.de/en/products/elect … lance+.php

Yes, it is too much expensive, I'm looking for a mid-range ...

vinark wrote:
ramses wrote:

or ask in a HiFi forum.

Please Ramses, I don't mind assisting him!

Thanks again to everyone,
I know it's a pro forum, I do not oblige anyone to answer or help me
By personal preference I have pro equipment and it's very good for me, for example I could buy these materials without me asked the use that I would ...

A MC cartridge is suitable for the mic inputs of the interface using balanced cables. The load impedance of the cartridge is readily implemented with a resistor or - more sophisticated - a step-up transformer, e.g. Lundahl 1636. The RIAA deemphasis consists of a 50Hz 6dB/oct low pass filter and a 6dB/oct high-shelf filter at 2122Hz, every EQ plugin can do that. That's it. Get a turntable with XLR outputs or rewire the tonearm and install balanced outputs. Don't apply phantom power (could harm the cartridge).