Topic: Auto load?

Is it possible to force TotalMix (with UFX II) to automatically re-load a particular setup/snapshot on startup?  I want to defeat the mechanism where it automatically reloads whatever the last state was.

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Auto load?

If you're on Windows you could write-protect the XML file for your interface at "c:\Users\All Users\TotalMixFX\". It's called "last.fireface...xml" or similar. Works great - I've been doing this for years!

You have to write-enable the file and close TMFX every time you want to change the default settings, though.

3 (edited by fripholm 2019-01-04 22:18:40)

Update: somehow, in one of the latest Windows updates Microsoft seems to have changed the way, files in the "ALL USERS" folder can be overwritten.

For the above method to work, TMFX now has to run as administrator or else the XML file won't get written to when Totalmix is closed - regardless of the file being write-protected or not. I'm always using an admin account when I work, but it still needs to run with admin rights specifically.

question to RME: does that mean, TMFX does not store its latest settings (although the file is NOT write-protected) when Windows is shut down or re-started and no one noticed? This used to work for me or is it some UAC setting I've missed?

Are you sure TM FX is set to use 'All Users' (F2 - Preferences)? No problems known.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, it is set to 'All Users'.

However, I've just checked this on another Win10 Pro system (which is the same 1809 build) and it works fine there.

Any idea what could cause this? User account control is turned off (slider fully down) in both systems...

Sorry, no. You might want to delete all the files in that Dir as 'reset'. Save your workspaces first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, but deleting the files or the folder didn't work as a reset.

But for now, I have found a solution. On the system that worked there was a setting in Group editor: Computer configuration - Windows settings - Security settings - Local policies - Security options - User account control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode. This was set to DISABLED on the OS that worked.

The default is ENABLED and that's what it was set on the system that did not work. Disabling this allows TMFX to overwrite the configuration file without elevated rights. But I really can't imagine that this is how it's supposed to work roll

TM FX always tries to save its current state on shutdown. One theory is that the current rights situation during install influences the rights that the auto started TM FX later has. We don't think that we can infliuence that, or the situation/issue that you describe above.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

bheller wrote:

Is it possible to force TotalMix (with UFX II) to automatically re-load a particular setup/snapshot on startup?  I want to defeat the mechanism where it automatically reloads whatever the last state was.

Under Windows that is possible. TotalMix FX supports loading a workspace file on startup. Example:

TotalMixFX.exe "c:\Users\MC\Documents\test.tmws"

as command line will start TM FX (if it's not running) and load a workspace named test (or whatever you created for this purpose).

This can be automated for the Windows start. Disable the AutoStart of TM FX, put the above command line into a link, add this link to AutoStart. Dsiable the Mismatch message via F2/Preferences.

I had some problems to do all this the Windows way. msconfig no longer works, Taks Manager is very restricted and didn't do what it should. In the end I used Startup Delayer, a shareware that I use for many years to control the startup process. In there it was very easy.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME