Topic: Standard sample rate setting (ADI2 Dac) for Windows 10

Hi, I'm enjoying my brand new and excellent ADI2 Dac. I am wondering what the best sample rate would be for music (a lot of Youtube right now), movies (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc.), and PC games.

I'm referring to the sample rate setting using the MADIface software. I switch between 44khz and 48khz, and sometimes like one or the other better with different media, but I'm not clear on the best "all the time" setting (if there is one).

Some things to consider: Netflix movies are supposedly encoded at 48khz, while Youtube is supposed to vary between 44khz and higher, depending on the uploader.

My basic question is, is 44khz or 48khz a better setting, and why?

2 (edited by ramses 2019-01-14 07:48:06)

Re: Standard sample rate setting (ADI2 Dac) for Windows 10

May I suggest that you google for "sample rate quality", thanks.
Additionally see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E … ng_theorem

Usually the PC is clock source, your music player dectecs automatically the sample rate of your audio material
and sets the clock of your DAC accordingly.

The sample rate of the audio material and your devices need to match (otherwise you  would listen to it at the wrong speed), so as if you use the wrong speed on a turntable.

Some devices support SRC (sample rate conversion), but upsampling 44.1 content to higher sample rates,
does not make the quality better, you only get more data and a little higher load on USB and the PCs CPU.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Robertm394 2019-01-15 03:48:54)

Thanks... so my main question continues then... what sample rate is best for the following activities: movies (Netflix, Vudu, Amazon) and music on Youtube (for now) as well as gaming.

Do I need to try to match the sample rate in MADIface to each piece of media (Netflix, Youtube song, etc.) I am playing individually?

And a question I sent to RME support but would like input here:

Let's say I set the sample rate to 44khz in MADIface software in Windows. Then I play a Netflix movie or Youtube song with a 48khz sample rate. What happens? Does Windows downsample it to 44khz using its own algorithm? I've heard Window's algorithm is not great and can reduce sound quality.

Further, is there a way to make it so the sample rate the DAC uses will be identical to the source material automatically? Thanks.

The UFX+ Handbook tells, that since Windows Vista the audio software is no longer allowed to set the sample rate.

An ASIO program can still set the sample rate by itself. So you should use audio applications which support ASIO.

As music player you could use i.e. Foobar2000 and MusicBee. But there are also streaming solutions available for audio, which I don't use, maybe somebody other can give a recommendation. Maybe something like roon.

For Youtube I have no solution for you. Youtube doesn't deliver lossless high quality content anyway the platform automatically converts it. I do not know to which exact format. Maybe somebody other can detail or explain this.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13