Topic: RME Fireface 400 / Mac Mojave 10.14.2 = not working?

Hey guys

I have an RME Fireface 400 that was working on my new MacBook 15" until today. I think there's a Mojave update (10.14.2) that came out recently and it's thrown it off.

The Settings app isn't working, the Totalmix loads but does not open/is visible on the screen.
I've looked at what people are saying on the forum and google searches but people are talking about Mojave 10.14.1.

The Host light is coming on and It's going through Firewire 400 > 800 converter > new USB-C converter. Was working last week.

Any news on driver update perhaps?

Re: RME Fireface 400 / Mac Mojave 10.14.2 = not working?

10.14.2 works with FireWire as did 10.14.1. Your unit might simply have gone defective. Check it at a different computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi all,

My Mojave is 10.14.2, installed the latest Totalmix and fireface setting, but cannot open either of them. Unblocked the security thing. Anyone can give me a solution? Thanks!

Like wendicheng2016 said, it does not work Matthias. Seems to be the apps or something. I also accepted the security block.
Can you look into this a little deeper at RME?

As I said it works over here. So what you expect me to find on my computer that would explain the problem that you see? It still sounds like the Security Blocking problem, where we had many reasons already how this is triggered:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26986

and here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26077

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 32#p128932

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I’d just like to say I’m having the same problem. The unit turns on and I can click on the totalmix app, but the mixer never appears.

I have been using my fireface 800 with Mojave for a while after going through the privacy loop (i.e. allowing the microphone to be used by my daw in the privacy settings), but today there was an error warning as soon as I turned the unit on about the app not being compatible any more.

Please help

Microphone rights is only one issue, the other is the kernel extension blocking. Please read(!) this document linked below, then reinstall and check for a blocked kext in the System Preferences > Security > General panel.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/AG … ion_EN.pdf

The warning about 32 bit is only informational and does not cause any trouble.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi there!

So, I'm having a similar issue here:  No 'allow' option is presented when installing the driver.  I removed all the driver files by hand.

I changed settings on Mojave 10.14.3, so when booted he will run all kexts without consent, and I disabled SIP as well.  Then I installed again:

Driver/plugins are in the correct folder, so it has installed, though system won't recognize the FF400.

Strangely when I run the firmware updater he says no driver is installed, though I see it in the folder.

Further messing around in terminal shows that FirefaceAudioDriver.kext can be loaded without issue.

Still the FF is unable to be seen in the system. 

Perhaps it's faulty although I'm pretty sure there is something still blocking it in the OS, because the firmware updater cannot see the driver even though it's in Library/Extensions.

: )

To be sure the FF400 (usually its FireWire ports) are not damaged you will have to try it on a different computer.

Also it might make sense to check the precense of FireWire ports and the FF400 in the System Report, Hardware, FireWire.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your reply.  I did check it on another machine though with exactly the same MacOS Mojave 10.14.3.  It was also not recognized, but if it's an OS driver thing it can be experiencing the same issue there : )

I looked at system report.  I'm using a thunderbolt adapter for the Firewire.  I can see that the Thunderbolt adapter is connected, though that is all system report shows. 

I can see no difference if the FF400 is connected to the adapter or not. (I'm not sure if it would give different info if the FF400 was recognized though!)

Firewire devices are not listed (no physical ports)

Is it possible to repair damaged ports on one of these units or is it truly defective at that point?  Just curious.

Thanks for your helpful advice!

Have you tried another external power supply?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi there!

Thanks, I tried that just now, he remains unrecognized unfortunately.

When I plug in my Apple TB2 to FireWire adapter, System Report says 'FireWire Bus - Up to 800Mb/s' under FireWire, and shows the FW adapter under Thunderbolt with all details.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

Thanks for checking that.  It's difficult for me to determine still whether he is just not allowed to run by the OS, and not seen in System report, or whether the ports are defective, and he can never be recognized.

Would the FF be recognized by system report if the driver was blocked by the OS?

thanks,

Doesn't matter. What I wrote above is without device. If you don't see FireWire then your FW hardware/adapter is defective, or there is no FireWire driver installed. A Fireface 400 is not necessary to check that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

Yes, I tried again and he does show the Firewire bus with the adapter plugged in. 
So the unit must have defective ports, as the adapter is good, and the firewire driver is installed (or he would not show any firewire)

Thanks

Hi,

Is it possible to replace defective ports on these units?

Thanks

Sure. Just send it in to repair and get a cost estimation before something is done.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Mathias

Hi there,
I found the repair estimate to be too high.  I opened up the unit, and then reassembled.  Now it's working again and recognized by the system.  Amazing.  (I can't really recommend this procedure, though it worked for me)