1 (edited by djiouls 2019-01-18 12:09:40)

Topic: Fireface UCX, Ableton Live 10 & Windows 10 - weird latency results...

Hi everyone,

i've recently changed my computer (from 2011 Mac to 2018 PC), the new one running Windows 10 is running a lot better BUT showing some weird latency result in Ableton Live 10..

I'm using the lastest RME ASIO USB Driver (1.166) , hardware revision is up to date as well and i connect the UCX via USB  :

1) it seems that the smallest buffer size is 48 samples (it use to be 32 with CoreAudio, right ?) , can I get it lower ??

2) Ableton reports a lower latency @ 64sample buffer size than @48 samples , which i find quite weird : here are the details

Buffer size = 48 samples    --->  input latency = 1,63 ms / output latency 3,20 ms / overall latency 4,83 ms

Buffer size = 64 samples    --->  input latency = 2,00 ms / output latency 2,47 ms / overall latency 4,47 ms

I just don't get it...

Is there a way to get it even lower on Windows ?? Am I missing something ?

Latency is a very big issue for me, any ms I can get rid of to play & re-sample in live performance situation is a plus...
Can some help me?

Thanks

Re: Fireface UCX, Ableton Live 10 & Windows 10 - weird latency results...

Google helps. Ableton adds software buffers on the playback side below 64 samples. So having 32 samples as buffer size (which you have not with the UCX) does not bring much anyway.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by djiouls 2019-01-18 12:09:08)

Thank you !

I actually remember that, on the Mac, even if the input latency was lower @32 samples than 64 samples, the output latency remained the same.. (we're talking Ableton Live 10 reported latencies)

I use to have 4,92ms @64 samples & 4,20ms @32 samples buffer on the 2011 Mac, but i actually kept the 64 sample setting, kinda "safer" ;-)

Don't get me wrong 4,47ms RTL is a very decent "score" & i'm happy with it, but just to be shure :
In this Windows/Ableton/Fireface UCX setup, i've reach the lowest latencies I can achieve ?

Thanks again for helping me!

UFX+, USB3
Input Latency: 1.11 ms
Output Latency: 2.79 ms
Global Latency: 3.9 ms

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The UFX+ has a bit 'quicker' AD and DA conversion...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by djiouls 2019-01-18 19:26:06)

Ramses wrote:

UFX+, USB3
Input Latency: 1.11 ms
Output Latency: 2.79 ms
Global Latency: 3.9 ms

That's good to know but i'm not planning on changing OS, software & soundcard wink but again, good to know, thanks !

MC wrote:

The UFX+ has a bit 'quicker' AD and DA conversion...

it makes sense, thanks.

I guess the RazerBlade15 / Fireface UCX / Ableton Live 10 is a great combo for what i do, and to be honest to compare with a MacBook pro i think (just my opinion.. hey, please don't start a win VS mac battle here wink ) that 0,27ms are not worth the price gap.. (again just my opinion, and believe me on some level i do miss OSX)

Thanks every one for your input !