1 (edited by christian wulff 2019-01-14 15:49:48)

Topic: Digiface Dante Madi Only

I have bought a Digiface Dante

Everything is set up the right way I believe

Downloade Dante controller, set the device up to 48khz and so on

But how can it be that I get nothing in my Totalmix mixer via madi, when I connect my Digiface to a madi device (digico console)

I also have a Madiface XT and when I switch cables to madiface XT everything works fine, Madi in and out
So the connection works, digiface does not work

Any good suggestions on what can be wrong with my setup

I suppose the digiface can work as a standalone Madi I/O unit?

Regards
Christian Wulff
Cph

Re: Digiface Dante Madi Only

have you configured the bnc connectors to function as madi rather than wordclock i/o?

Hi Andia

Yes indeed i have smile

Om wondering if it actually Will work as a “stand alone” madi I/O
Or is it just madi to dante and Dante to madi

But again i get no input in my totalfx mix so how couldt it make it to Dante

Regards
Christian

How do you define 'stand-alone'? Also why you not try the XT's MADI out into the DF Dante MADI in?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have tried changing the same cables that worked in the Madiface XT input to Digiface Dante input, that did not work

With "stand alone" I am meaning, it can work like a MADIface USB

It is pretty hard to find some people that actually now something about this product, I have written to RME with no luck

Without expert people it is difficult to say if its the product or me thats wrong smile I have written the RME manual 2 times, the same goes for Audinate's 1996 software and manuals

Regards
Christian

The MADIface USB stand-alone simply works. The DF Dante stand-alone refers to not using it via USB as audio interface. It is still connected to a Dante network and fully configured using that network and a Dante Controller running somewhere in that network. The automatic part is the internal Dante to/from MADI 64 channel routing, as there is no TotalMix FX anymore.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC

Im glad you chime in on this

I'm not sure if I understand you answer 100% correct

Im aware of that the DF Dante can work without a computer as standalone MADI to Dante and vice versa

My intention to buy the DF Dante was to have a MADI card that could work like a MADIface USB and ALSO had the option for converting MADI to Dante and vice versa.

But it is misunderstood that the DF Dante can work like a MADIface USB?
I know its not build for that purpose, but it has MADI in and MADI out, so it seems logical that you can send a MADI stream in, and get a MADI stream out again via USB 3, is that totally wrong?

Best Regards
Christian
Cph

That again has nothing to do with 'stand-alone'. And was answered in detail here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28119

The DF Dante works without Dante, but needs a network connection so the Dante Controller can start and then allows to set the sample rate. Also added to the latest online manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias

Yes I am totally aware of that I have to couple it to a Dante network and I have done that, Dante Controlle on my macbook
And I have manage to change samplerate on the DF Dante. I can say that for sure because the green LED on the front
stopped blinking when I chance it to 48KHZ when it was hooked up to a digico console running 48khz

So far so good (maybe?)

But how come do I not see any MADI input in the Totalmix mixer, (And yes I had choosed the right mixer in Totalmix up at left corner)

It is the same MADI cable (stream) that work fine when I connect it to Madiface XT coming from the same source (digico)

When I put the same cable in DF Dante I am getting no input.

And as stated above, I have configured DF Dante via Dante Controller, what am I missing to getting MADI in, in the first place?

Can it be broken?

Best Regards
Christian

Please list the driver version, TM FX version and firmware version of the DF Dante.

As a simple test: if you connect MADI in with out and play back something via TotalMix FX to the MADI outs, you should see MADI Coax Sync in the Settings dialog, and that playback and hardware output signal also in the MADI input channels of TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am using
Mac OS 10.13.6

DF Dante Firmware: v31
Fireface USB Settings : v3.14
Totalmix: 1.52
Dante Controller: 4.1.1.2

I have fine connection to my DF Dante via Dante Controller, same IP range and all and the front LED blinks when im changing samplerate

I have connected MADI input to output on DF dante

Fireface USB Settings says
Samplerate: 48khz
MADI.     Sync.       48khz.      48k frame.       64 channels.
BNC I/O is set to MADI
And the green LED are solid

When I play audio through Logic (48khz) on MADI 1-2 Out I can see metering on 1-2 Software Playback And 1-2 Hardware Output
But nothing at 1-2 Input?

Is there any more settings to do?

Best Regards
Christian

AAHHHHHH
Okay

I have solved the problem, in my host programs, DF Dante MADI starts at ch 65 and up in Totalmix
It says DA and MA

that must be the issue, HAHA
Sorry it was so obvious tongue

Best Regards
Christian