Topic: 2 macs one Fireface. ¿possible?

Hello.
I think the title says it all: I want to connect 2 macs to one fireface (I have 800, 400 and UFX). My goal is to use one as a backup for live shows using Mainstage. I've seen some interface that allows (or seems to allow, it's advertized but...) it, but I'd prefer to stick with RME. I use inputs feeding Mainstage and also routed directly to outputs via Totalmix, hence the need to use only one interface. I know how to do it with lightpipe and a second interface, Internal soundcard on 2nd Mac is not an option as I need at least 4 ins and 4 outs.
regards

Re: 2 macs one Fireface. ¿possible?

That doesn't work for two reasons: one is that there is no choice which FW input is used, second is that FW inputs are easily blown by such setups.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: 2 macs one Fireface. ¿possible?

gpiccolini wrote:

Hello.
I think the title says it all: I want to connect 2 macs to one fireface (I have 800, 400 and UFX). My goal is to use one as a backup for live shows using Mainstage. I've seen some interface that allows (or seems to allow, it's advertized but...) it, but I'd prefer to stick with RME. I use inputs feeding Mainstage and also routed directly to outputs via Totalmix, hence the need to use only one interface. I know how to do it with lightpipe and a second interface, Internal soundcard on 2nd Mac is not an option as I need at least 4 ins and 4 outs.
regards

What exactly is the role for the two Macs ?

Can you eventually simplify the setup by using the UFX's standalone capabilities and DURec ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13