1 (edited by taifun 2019-01-19 12:24:05)

Topic: RME FF400: dropouts and more dropouts

I've been happily using my RME Fireface for about 10 years now. Since about a year, i've been experiencing occasional glitchy behaviour which has become more and more frequent. I have done some basic tests but this didn't help the problem: switched firewire cable, plugged into a different physical firewire card, updated the drivers etc.

It also happens that signals going into the inputs don't come through initially after i've just fired up my system (not audibly and no signal visible on the input meters in Total Mix). Then, after a few minutes, suddenly the sound appears. Sometimes, waiting doesn't help at all and then i need to reboot the entire system AND disconnect the Fireface from the power outlet before restarting, just to get things to work normally again.

It also happened that i was seeing signal, coming into both Totalmix and Cubase, and visibly being sent to the main outs (analog 1/2 in my case) in the bottom of Totalmix, but no sound could be heard through the speakers...

It feels like my RME is slowly dying. I am wondering about selling it off (but at what price and would anybody want this, maybe for parts?). I'm thinking the easiest solution (but an expensive one) would be to simply replace it with a new interface.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

2 (edited by ramses 2019-01-19 12:45:21)

Re: RME FF400: dropouts and more dropouts

You delivered no information about your system.
- HW, OS, version, firewire card and chipset, cable length
- FF400 firmware and driver version

Whether it's still the same after 10+ years, whether its connected to Internet that maybe an update changed something.

I am wondering whether it's really the device or whether maybe something on your system changed.

I would try on a different system and eventually also perform a clean parallel installation on separate disk, to be sure that its not someting on operating system side has issues.

You already sent 2013 a problem report, about connection losses etc, but you never answered back
after being aked by MC/RME, what Fw driver you use:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=17285

Did the problem disappear ? I would guess so, but what was the change to make it work at that time.
Maybe this brings everybody to a better idea, what might help you.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You might send the unit in for checking. You would get an estimate of the repair costs before repair is done. But in reality it is most probably indeed time for a new toy. Especially as FireWire is dead.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks for the replies smile i believe back in 2013 the driver update must have fixed it, as that was indeed suggested and seems i didn't follow up after that. i'll take your suggestion and will look into system config changes and driver changes, although nothing much has changed in the software realm afaik. main thing i can think of right now in terms of hardware setup changes is a Behringer ADA8000 that i got last year. it's sends the audio out over adat and is being clocked from the RME through word cable.

Another thing that happened about a week ago: soundcard was powered up and pc was turned off and every single LED on the RME was completely lit up. The issue disappeared after unplugging from power and re-plugging.

as far as config info, this has all remained the same:

-Win 7 pro x64 fully updated
-mobo Asus P9x79, updated to bios v 3501
-16 gig Corsair Vengeance CMZ86X3M2A1600C9G
-gigabit 82579v ethernet adapter (my pc is NEVER hooked up to the internet though)
-graphic card Nvidia Geforce 520
-onboard sound: nVidia gf119 and realtek alc892 (but these are disabled in device manager)
-CPU i7 3960x
-Lycom pe-101 firewire card (Texas Instruments chip)
-onboard firewire card with VIA chipset
-cable length: i've been using the RME-supplied cable most of the time, to eliminate cable issue i replaced it with a decent Schulz firewire cable, no longer than 4m  - didn't help.

The usual procedure would be IMHO to check for new driver and firmware and to perform an update.
After 10+ years it's also likely that the unit has a HW defect.
It's questionable whether it's really worth to repair the Firewire unit.

Either consider i.e. to take UC or better UCX.

Also a very valid approach might be to combine some newer masterpieces like i.e.
Digiface USB and ADI-2 Pro FS or alternatively ADI-2 DAC or ADI-2 FS

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks again for the replies!

I updated the driver now, seems i was running the 2nd last version. Firmware was already up to date. I'll test drive this for a bit now.

taifun wrote:

Another thing that happened about a week ago: soundcard was powered up and pc was turned off and every single LED on the RME was completely lit up. The issue disappeared after unplugging from power and re-plugging.

Then you should try a new power supply.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by taifun 2019-01-20 12:24:37)

I just fired up the system today, once powered the green signal level indicator LEDs of channels 1-4 were lit up and remained that way, even though no cable was plugged into them. Soundcard didn't make connection after the pc booted. Shut down pc, unplugged FF400 from power socket for a moment, then after restart everything ok again.

Switching the power supply sound like a very promising idea, thanks

I replaced the power adapter and that seems to have solved the issue!

Many thanks for your input wink