Topic: HDSP 9632 Settings Screen Questions

The settings screen for my HDSP 9632 with driver version 4.22 installed looks different from the settings screen portrayed in the user manual. (I wish I could attach a picture to this message but I don't know how.)  I'm getting confused and would like to ask some questions:

1. Is there another manual that I can download that matches the screen that I have? My screen has WDM Devices configuration, a Global tab, and many other differences.

2. I don't see an AutoSync option for the clock source. How do I set AutoSync?

3. I want to connect a Burl AD as master to the 9632 AES input. Do I need to select TMS to enable the 9632 to extract the clock from the incoming Burl data?

4. I want to use the XLR balanced analog output from the breakout cable. Should I select the XLR option?

5. I want to use the external ADAT input to receive SPDIF data. How do I set it to receive SPDIF instead of ADAT data?  There seems to be no option to select SPDIF instead of ADAT or vice-versa.

6. What do you use the AEB option for? Is it used only if you have an AEB or TEB expansion board?

7. I don't see the Check Input and SyncAlign options. How do I set Check Input and SyncAlign?

8. I want to send AES output from the breakout cable to a Tascam UH7000 AD/DA. Should I select Professional in the SPDIF Out options?

9. I don't have the DDS tab. How do I set the DDS options?

Thank you so much in  advance for your much appreciated help!

Re: HDSP 9632 Settings Screen Questions

Most of your questions are answered in the old manual. Here is the driver 4 update, which is easy to find on the Manuals download page:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/wi … er_4_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Most of your questions are answered in the old manual. Here is the driver 4 update, which is easy to find on the Manuals download page:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/wi … er_4_e.pdf

Thank you so much, MC!  smile

I will read this and ask more questions, if any, later.

4 (edited by MTL777 2019-01-16 03:56:24)

Okay, now I have more questions:

1. There are already options to set the output level to -10 dBV or +4 dBu or High Gain. Why do you need the Breakout Cable "XLR" option to reduce the line output level by 6 dB? When do you need to use this XLR option? Is it used when you have a balanced XLR output cable with the output level set to High Gain which may be too high, hence the need to reduce it by 6 dB? By the way, what exactly is High Gain output level in terms of dB?

2. In the SPDIF Out there is an option to select "Professional". I'm guessing this option changes the format of the coaxial SPDIF output to Professional instead of Consumer format, correct? Now, does selecting Professional also have any affect on the format of the XLR AES output or none at all?

1. Latest manual page 47, explained there in detail.

2. This option influences both outputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Selecting "Professional" affects both the coax SPDIF and XLR AES outputs?  Isn't it that the XLR AES output is already in Professional format, and if so, what would be changed in the XLR AES output then?  Is there such a thing as Consumer AES format which you could change to Professional by selecting the Professional option?

Thanks!

Maybe I should rephrase my question.

It is clear to me that the Professional option affects the coax SPDIF output as follows:

Professional option selected - the coax SPDIF output becomes Professional format - AES3id - https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/aes3id/
Professional option not selected - the coax SPDIF output is Consumer format which is the default - IEC958 Part 3 - https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/iec958-part-3/

Please correct me if I'm wrong about AES3id being the Professional format that the coax SPDIF output changes to when Professional option is selected. smile

My confusion is how the Professional option affects the XLR AES output. What is the format of the XLR AES output in the following scenarios:

1. Professional option selected - ?
2. Professional option not selected - ?

Sorry for my long winded question. smile

Thanks very much!

MTL777 wrote:

My confusion is how the Professional option affects the XLR AES output. What is the format of the XLR AES output in the following scenarios:

1. Professional option selected - ?
2. Professional option not selected - ?

This is the answer:

MC wrote:

The AES/EBU equipped cable is optional. The selected format will be sent to both connectors.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

9 (edited by MTL777 2019-01-17 01:10:42)

RME Support wrote:

The AES/EBU equipped cable is optional.

Yes, I know that. And I have the AES/EBU equipped cable. That's why I'm asking, as I want to be sure.

RME Support wrote:

The selected format will be sent to both connectors.

Okay, so the selected format is Professional but Professional can mean one of two things:

1. AES3 (also called IEC958 Part 4) - https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/iec958-part-4/
   - or -
2. AES3id (a subset of AES3) - https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/aes3id/

So, which one is it that goes out of the XLR AES output when Professional is selected? AES3 or AES3id?

Please also see the following to understand why I'm getting confused: smile

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pro-c … explained/

Thanks very much!

How can that be AES3id when that uses unbalanced coaxial cable via BNC connectors?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

How can that be AES3id when that uses unbalanced coaxial cable via BNC connectors?

Exactly! smile So, if it's not AES3id then it is AES3 - the same format that it already is when the Professional option is NOT selected. What else can it be?

Therefore, if I'm getting this right, selecting Professional does not change the format of the XLR AETS output. It remains the same - AES3. So the Professional option has no affect on the XLR AES output, or am I missing something here? What am I missing? My confusion stems from your reply that the Professional option "influences both outputs". I took "influences" to mean that it changes something. What exactly does it change in the XLR AES output?

"Professional" selected - AES3
"Professional" not selected - SPDIF, consumer format, as on CD players, DAT recorders, or the like.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Use DIGICheck, function Channel Status Display, ASIO, set to AES or SPDIF input.
Set the card to internal clock, then connect AES out with in and SPDIF out with in.
Activate TMS in the Settings dialog.

Now check the Status Display when you change the format.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Use DIGICheck, function Channel Status Display, ASIO, set to AES or SPDIF input.
Set the card to internal clock, then connect AES out with in and SPDIF out with in.
Activate TMS in the Settings dialog.

Now check the Status Display when you change the format.

I don't think I have DIGICheck. Could you please provide a link to download it?

Thanks! smile

RME download page

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

RME download page

Got it. Thanks! smile

Where do I download the user manual for DIGICheck? I don't see it in the Manuals download page.

Google says https://www.rme-audio.de/english/techinfo/digich.htm

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Use the online help of DIGICheck.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Awesome! Thanks guys smile

RME Support wrote:

"Professional" selected - AES3
"Professional" not selected - SPDIF, consumer format, as on CD players, DAT recorders, or the like.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Suprise, surprise! smile  I used DIGICheck as MC instructed and was surprised to see that, indeed, the XLR AES output is SPDIF Consumer format when Professional is NOT selected!  So this is what I've been missing.  All along I thought that it should be AES3 by default, otherwise why call it an AES output if it is actually an SPDIF Consumer output by default and you have to select Professional option to change it to AES3?

Now, my next questions are the following, which I can't seem to find the answer from the DIGICheck Channel Status Display:

1. When Professional option is NOT selected, what is the output impedance of
a. The coaxial SPDIF output - ?  (Is it 75 Ohms?)
b. The XLR AES output - ?  (Is it 75 Ohms?)

2. When Professional option is selected, what is the output impedance of
a. The coaxial SPDIF output - ?  (Is it still 75 Ohms, as per AES3id specs?)
b. The XLR AES output - ?  (Is it now 110 Ohms, as per AES3 specs?)

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm wondering, is it really possible for the driver to be able to change the output impedance when the output format is changed from Consumer to Professional via the Settings screen?  I'm thinking that the output level is easy for the driver to change but the output impedance maybe not so.

Thanks very much!

The impedance doesn't change, and it is of zero relevance unless you use a 100 m long cable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The impedance doesn't change, and it is of zero relevance unless you use a 100 m long cable.

Oh, okay, that's good to know.  So, with Professional selected, is the impedance of the AES output 75 Ohms then?  I just want to confirm because "doesn't change" could mean 75 Ohms remains as 75 Ohms or it could also mean 110 Ohms remains as 110 Ohms, depending on what the impedance is when Professional is not selected.

Sorry for asking what may be obvious. I just want to be sure and I want to satisfy my curiosity. smile

The impedances are not mentioned in the Tech Spec section because they are part of the standard. AES3 110 Ohm, SPDIF 75 Ohm...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

24 (edited by MTL777 2019-01-20 20:53:12)

MC wrote:

The impedances are not mentioned in the Tech Spec section because they are part of the standard. AES3 110 Ohm, SPDIF 75 Ohm...

So, based on what you said, and the fact that the output impedance does not change, please confirm...

1. The output impedance of the coaxial output is 75 Ohms whether or not Professional is selected. (Conforms to SPDIF 75 Ohm standard)

2. The output impedance of the XLR output is 110 Ohms whether or not Professional is selected. (Conforms to AES3 110 Ohm standard)

Yes?

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes.

Thank you! smile